ID the crab apple - pic

Does anyone know what type this is? It appeared to be growing in a semi-wild state (ravine in Toronto) but could be an escaped garden crab apple.
The bright red clusters stood out so strongly against the otherwise barren limbs of the surrounding growth. Plus I didn't expect to see so many apples still hanging on at this late date.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Greg USDA Zone 5, Toronto
Please see pic below (find Canadian penny for scale):
http://members.rogers.com/gregmiller2/apple.JPG
Can you get us a shot of the bark? Thousands of Malus cultivars, very hard to narrow it down.
Dave

With my scanner I can't show the bark too easily. I can tell you that the bark is very smooth, light in colour, and the form was of a shrubby tree about 15 ft high.

I found it: Donald Wyman crab. http://www.mnpower.com/treebook/fact51.html