ID'ing common sprouts--probably a tree

Out of curiosity thought I'd post this question.
We are seeing lots of these all over the lawns, backyards, side, behind the garage. I'm guessing it is a tree since it is so well spread. Does anyone recognize it?
http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl66/commonsprouts.jpg
The camera color is accurate. It has a reddish tinge in the leaves.
DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 2nd year gardener
The lower leaves look like cotyledons. There will be a sycamore in the vicinity though the leaf is a little different. They will not survive a mowing but those in borders need to be pulled soon before their tap root makes this difficult. Best Wishes.

One of the maples, and it's a seedling. Probably re maple knowing the area.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Definitely a maple of some variety. Many species reseed easily and will sprout with abandon. Got any mature maples in the vicinity? These are most likely its offspring.
pam - gardengal

I wouldn't know a maple tree if it fell on me. I'll see if I can spot a mature form of the leaf online and compare around the house. There are a few big trees on neighboring properties, only one on ours but they are everywhere.
Thanks to everyone for narrowing down the suspects.'

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, <1 mile off L.I.Sound 2nd year gardener
I feel sure you really do know the Sycamore / Maple trees. Possibly not by name but these are the trees that produced the 'helicopter' seeds that as a child you threw into the air to watch them slowly spiral down!! All children have done this ,surely? ~~~ Having said 'seed' I do know they are winged samaras [fruits] Best Wishes Brian

Brian:
Sycamore has alternate branching. This seedling has opposite branching, hence cannot be a platens.
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC
Only the first pair of true leaves are showing. Branches will develop later. There is no doubt that it is a Maple/ Sycamore. Thanks for your comment. Best Wishes

Pretty darn big cotyledons for such a miniscule Sycamore seed. And thank you :)
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC
The seed is not really minuscule. Not much smaller than a pea. The cotyledons are folded within the seed and are the strap-like little leaves shown on the extreme right of the photo. Best Wishes. Brian

Well I'll be darned. :)
--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC
Mike LaMana said:

'Sycamore' is the common name (in Great Britain) for a type of maple (Acer pseudoplantanus). This 'sycamore' would indeed have opposite branching. You can occasionally find one of these 'sycamore' maples planted in the USA; my friend had one in the backyard of her house in town. (It took me a while to figure out what type of maple that one was.)
In North America, the common name 'sycamore' is applied to a plane tree (especially Platanus occidentalis).
And, to be thorough, the 'sycamore' mentioned in the Bible is actually a type of fig (Ficus sycamorus).
The original poster's sprouts were definitely some sort of maple (Acer sp.).

Yes of course!! How stupid of me...I knew this at some point! We actually see feral sycamore maples in NYC area from time to time. Thanks!