Ice Inside Planters

Seems like nobody in rec.gardens.edible either has the answers or wants to take the trouble to answer, so I'm posting this again in this forum.
I buried several of my young trees in pots in my garden for the winter. These are all plastic pots which have filled with the melted snow, to the brim. With the varying temperatures we are experiencing, some of this water has refrozen. Will this ice layer atop the soil in any way harm the plants? Should I make extra efforts to remove it?
Sherwin D.

Unless I am misunderstanding the situation these pots are full of standing ice cold water that refreezes from time to time. The lack of drainage and consistently cold wet roots would worry me as much as any ice. And to even begin to comment on how much freezing they could tolerate we would want to know the species of trees.
--
Toni
Zone 10
Toni wrote: