I visited....

I visited GardenWeb the other day. Interesting. LOTS of diversified topics concerning all sorts of plants. Even some forums with specifics, like Gardening in Tennessee. And a place for new forums, made me think ....hmmmm a lot of us from Wreck.gardens could visit there and smooze and name the forum "rec.garden refugees" or maybe back yard chatting from the neighborhood of rec.garden" there are no restrictions other than language. and 99% of us are pretty good at that anyway out of common respect. I've not given up on wreck.gardens, just thought it was interesting. my two cents worth. madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, Sunset zone 36 who has subscribed to GardenWeb (it's free but they don't mind a donation to help run things even more efficiently if yer inclined)

Reply to
madgardener

diversified topics

specifics, like

think ....hmmmm

name the

the

than language.

respect. I've not

English

subscribed to

things even

The guy that runs the forums (fora?) on GW has the reputation of being rather dictatorial. I sometimes (rarely) visit the bonsai group there, but so many of the questions are about "mallsai" (supermarket "bonsai") the visits usually are brief.

And web-based boards are clumsy.

FWIW

Jim Lewis - snipped-for-privacy@nettally.com - Tallahassee, FL - Only where people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

Reply to
Jim Lewis

Someone runs the boards? I've never noticed anyone being censored or talking about rules, etc. It's just gardeners posting. Some of the specialty boards aren't that active, but I've found so much info over there.

I like that the posts stay up, my news server only holds posts for maybe

2 weeks. But I've never had a problem with web-based boards, especially ones with good search capabilities.

Janine

Reply to
jrstark

"madgardener" wrote in news:40250e71 snipped-for-privacy@news.vic.com:

Yeah but can you get free calla lilies there?

Reply to
Salty Thumb

Reply to
madgardener

I did notice that there were some etiquette rules but other than basic common sense, nothing out of the ordinary. I'm curious and willing to give it a shot. I can ALWAYS learn about horticulture! madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

Reply to
madgardener

Maybe they do present some etiquette rule but the crude dude (Spike Hernandez = Robert Stewart) who runs GW doesn't bother follow them at all. He runs it like a power crazed despot He's all too willing to arbitrarily banish anyone for no reason at all without any warning nor explanation. Any inquiries get hateful demeaning replies saying he can do anything he wants. Somebody should off that mofo.

Reply to
Cereus-validus

why do you respond to that over the top stuff? it really is pointless and all the harangue has nothing what so ever to do with you any way. evidently some people dont feel gardening is exciting enough and need to rev their engines in other ways. yes, I too have heard that many web chatting sites are heavily moderated and I really dont like them either. I save messages from this list (got a whole separate folder for yours!!!). And if you do wander off to those web lists and leave us here I will track you down!! Ingrid

"madgardener" wrote: ......lighten up on me will ya? I don't believe you can

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Unfortunately, I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for any of the endorsements or recommendations I make.

Reply to
dr-solo

There are seed and plant exchanges there. I use the Canadian one frequently. People routinely offer seeds for trade or SASE, and you can post a "wanted" request. There seems to be an increasing number of people who won't honour their side of the bargain in trading though. It's generally worth it for the trade boards, but I find with the forums you need to double check the advice you get. Cereus is right in that most of the posters have very little knowledge beyond basic gardening 101. Many of the posters are newbies with some very bad advice, but there is the occasional knowledgeable poster. I can't count the number of times I've seen a warning about pointsettia being poisonous.

Bonnie Punch

Reply to
Bonnie Punch

Lordie, Mad, we love you far too much for you to leave. The group would lose far too much character without your beloved ramblings. Ignore him as I do. After being the object of his foul mouthed savaging, I skip anything he posts. Most of his contributions are crude, rude, and therefore unimportant. He makes it his mission in life to hurt people, but it's beyond my comprehension why he attacked you. Maybe it's his method of expression of venom against Gardenweb, but who knows? Maybe he couldn't find a newbie to attack in the posts, and you became the "target of the day."

A few in this group think he's funny, but he was way out of line in this attack on you.

The rest of us love you...

John

Reply to
B & J

If you want to chat, use a chat client .. mIRC and pick an IRC network to go to and start a channel. There is already a channel .. #gardening on undernet (the # sign designates a channel name. You get on an undernet server typing: /server us.undernet.org will get you on any available undernet server and typing /join #gardening will put you into the channel. If you want to start a channel that doesn't already exist, they "joining" it by typing /join #channelname it'll put you in that channel. First person joining a channel is an Op, .. someone with @ in front of their nick is an op.. someone capable of bestowing the @ crown to others. Be careful who you bestow ops on as they could then boot you out and ban you so you can't get back into your own channel. But that being aside it's the best chat environment, as that's what it was made for.

read the irc primer if it's unfamiliar to you.

Janice

Reply to
Janice

-snip-

2 choices to keep posts-
or use an offline newsreader. Forte's Free Agent is free -
've never been to gardenweb so I have no opinion of it in particular, but I've never found a web based board that was as convenient as Usenet & a proper reader & filters. If I was reading Usenet with a web browser I wold probably feel differently.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Maddie, Stephens post was a follow up to Janice.

Reply to
zhanataya

I stand corrected. my apologies. I need to just lurk for awhile. and clear my head out.....................huge sigh maddie

Reply to
madgardener

I wouldn't recommend it. There are just too many of them. You would be likely to get carpal tunnel syndrome in your foot and tennis knee.

Reply to
Dwight Sipler

ahhhh the net granny!!!!! ((((((((((((((((huge hug))))))))))))))

Reply to
madgardener

I was banished for registering. "Spike" said my Username was to close to a business name and off to DisneyLand I went. Never knew the business and have yet to find them!

Reply to
None

Perhaps the tree fertilizer spikes that you drive into the ground, also for some plants. Except that's Jobe's tree spikes or something like that.

Sounds like a place to steer clear of anyway.

Janice

Reply to
Janice

Free callas???? Where? Where?