I visited....

Page 1 of 2
I visited GardenWeb the other day. Interesting. LOTS of diversified topics concerning all sorts of plants. Even some forums with specifics, like Gardening in Tennessee. And a place for new forums, made me think ....hmmmm a lot of us from Wreck.gardens could visit there and smooze and name the forum "rec.garden refugees" or maybe back yard chatting from the neighborhood of rec.garden" there are no restrictions other than language. and 99% of us are pretty good at that anyway out of common respect. I've not given up on wreck.gardens, just thought it was interesting. my two cents worth. madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, Sunset zone 36 who has subscribed to GardenWeb (it's free but they don't mind a donation to help run things even more efficiently if yer inclined)
- Tallahassee, FL - Only where people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.
Jim Lewis wrote:

Someone runs the boards? I've never noticed anyone being censored or talking about rules, etc. It's just gardeners posting. Some of the specialty boards aren't that active, but I've found so much info over there.
I like that the posts stay up, my news server only holds posts for maybe 2 weeks. But I've never had a problem with web-based boards, especially ones with good search capabilities.
Janine
I did notice that there were some etiquette rules but other than basic common sense, nothing out of the ordinary. I'm curious and willing to give it a shot. I can ALWAYS learn about horticulture! <g> madgardener

there.
Maybe they do present some etiquette rule but the crude dude (Spike Hernandez = Robert Stewart) who runs GW doesn't bother follow them at all. He runs it like a power crazed despot He's all too willing to arbitrarily banish anyone for no reason at all without any warning nor explanation. Any inquiries get hateful demeaning replies saying he can do anything he wants. Somebody should off that mofo.

give
I was banished for registering. "Spike" said my Username was to close to a business name and off to DisneyLand I went. Never knew the business and have yet to find them!

maybe
especially

Perhaps the tree fertilizer spikes that you drive into the ground, also for some plants. Except that's Jobe's tree spikes or something like that.
Sounds like a place to steer clear of anyway.
Janice

Hi, I'm new to forums and just wanted to say I totally agree wit
whoever started this thread saying GardenWeb sucks. Too true. Spike th tyrant kicked me out because the title of one of my posts wasn' specific enough. The strange thing is that I see people breaking th rules, even Spike does from time to time, but none of them ever get i trouble. I guess it just depends on his mood
-- Hunter77
Hunter77 Wrote:

And in addition to that, my ability to post was blocked after only warnings. I kept getting redirected to a stupid Disney page. I politel informed Spike of this only about half a dozen times. He never reall listened and kind of ignored me. I sent him a slightly harsher messag and my member page was gone. I was so angry; I spent lots of time o that! I sent him a rude message. And my membership is gone. I trie registering under a different E-mail address using the usernam "Sephiroth". I still couldn't post; stupid Disney page again! then tha account was deleted. Argh! What's Spike's problem anyways?! Actually you know what, I don't want to be member of GardenWeb. Too strict. Yo get banned for doing things right. It better not be that bad here. Dow with Spike the tyrant
-- Hunter77
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 00:45:40 +0000, Hunter77

LOL! Got to watch the Ogre at that gate. I got kicked off without warning for what I thought was a meaningless, if maybe a bit stupid post. I remember thinking, "you gotta be kidding me. I'm Banned?!!? FOR THAT??"
Anyway, I just used a different email account and got in just fine. I suggest you clear you cookies (that dont sound right -- Gardenweb would ban me for that), and your browser history files first. They probably cached your account locally and you'll need to delete yourself from your machine.
There's a lot of good stuff on Gardenweb, but you can get to it without being a member, so its not a requirement. Considering some of the stuff that goes on around here, I can see how some people would like it nice and quiet, and like protection from the trolls. Still, Spike seems to be a bit thin skinned for my tastes. I dont uderstand the "no warning at all" type bans. Not even a notice to clear up your act.
Swyck
Cereus-validus,
I knew there was something I liked about you!
I can attest to the fact that dear sweet Spike is a horses back-side! I was one of several who were sent to Disneyland for speaking up about his bannishing another Daylily forum) member.
Now that the niceties are out of the way, are you aware that Garden Web has been sold to iVillage? This was just finalized the last couple of weeks. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, Spike is still the moderator. A lot of us WG refugees are wonder about how long that will last and just how much of his BS the folks at iVillage will put up with. Wonder how long before the new owners send his ass to Disneyland?! Sure hope it's soon!
Hemmaholic formerly of Garden Web, now at the only Real Daylily Forum Tinkersgardens.com
-snip-

2 choices to keep posts- www.groups.google.com or use an offline newsreader. Forte's Free Agent is free - http://www.forteinc.com/agent/features.php
I've never been to gardenweb so I have no opinion of it in particular, but I've never found a web based board that was as convenient as Usenet & a proper reader & filters. If I was reading Usenet with a web browser I wold probably feel differently.
Jim
I'm not going to let the guy who runs the forums dictate me. If I sense or feel like someone is hounding me I can back out. I still love rec.gardens. Don't get me wrong there honey. just an observation was all. maddie
- Tallahassee, FL - Only where

If you want to chat, use a chat client .. mIRC and pick an IRC network to go to and start a channel. There is already a channel .. #gardening on undernet (the # sign designates a channel name. You get on an undernet server typing: /server us.undernet.org will get you on any available undernet server and typing /join #gardening will put you into the channel. If you want to start a channel that doesn't already exist, they "joining" it by typing /join #channelname it'll put you in that channel. First person joining a channel is an Op, .. someone with @ in front of their nick is an op.. someone capable of bestowing the @ crown to others. Be careful who you bestow ops on as they could then boot you out and ban you so you can't get back into your own channel. But that being aside it's the best chat environment, as that's what it was made for. www.mirc.com read the irc primer if it's unfamiliar to you.
Janice

Yeah but can you get free calla lilies there?
I've been lead to understant there is a swap plants and seeds forum specifically. I'll let you know salty.............<G> maddie who would LOVE some more somniferum poppy seeds to attempt another established bed of them. I keep TRYING!!!!!

There are seed and plant exchanges there. I use the Canadian one frequently. People routinely offer seeds for trade or SASE, and you can post a "wanted" request. There seems to be an increasing number of people who won't honour their side of the bargain in trading though. It's generally worth it for the trade boards, but I find with the forums you need to double check the advice you get. Cereus is right in that most of the posters have very little knowledge beyond basic gardening 101. Many of the posters are newbies with some very bad advice, but there is the occasional knowledgeable poster. I can't count the number of times I've seen a warning about pointsettia being poisonous.
Bonnie Punch

Free callas???? <bg> Where? Where?
Cindy
why do you respond to that over the top stuff? it really is pointless and all the harangue has nothing what so ever to do with you any way. evidently some people dont feel gardening is exciting enough and need to rev their engines in other ways. yes, I too have heard that many web chatting sites are heavily moderated and I really dont like them either. I save messages from this list (got a whole separate folder for yours!!!). And if you do wander off to those web lists and leave us here I will track you down!! Ingrid
......lighten up on me will ya? I don't believe you can

I don't believe you can

Lordie, Mad, we love you far too much for you to leave. The group would lose far too much character without your beloved ramblings. Ignore him as I do. After being the object of his foul mouthed savaging, I skip anything he posts. Most of his contributions are crude, rude, and therefore unimportant. He makes it his mission in life to hurt people, but it's beyond my comprehension why he attacked you. Maybe it's his method of expression of venom against Gardenweb, but who knows? Maybe he couldn't find a newbie to attack in the posts, and you became the "target of the day."
A few in this group think he's funny, but he was way out of line in this attack on you.
The rest of us love you...
John