I've noticed lately here on wreck gardens......

Page 2 of 2
On Apr 27, 1:20pm, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have only been around a short while, but I have read archives of the news group going back over a decade. Pretty much all of my questions were answered here long before I got around to asking them. Now I am experimenting with a lot of the things I have learned.
One of the major drawbacks to any public forum is that people can be jerks, and it is not against the law for them to be jerks in public, so there isn't much anyone can do about it. It is up to the people who care enough to try and foster a more healthy atmosphere in the newsgroup, just as we try to do in our gardens. Unfortunately, if all of the nice, positive people get offended and run away to their private gated communities, there won't be anyone left in the public space to help outweigh all of the negativity. Just like a neglected garden, weeds will start to grow and will eventually take over. (anyone working on permaculture newsgroups?) I have seen a lot of really cool people who have become fed-up with all of the negativity and profanity, and left. It is sad to see.

Hi Myco A very thoughtful post. Wow, you have actually read the archives! I don't post too often any more, but I lurk and read all the posts. I don't use a killfile since I think I can read or not read without help! Sometimes I just like to hear what the "jerks" are saying/thinking. Very good advice that you give us. (It was not all rosy here in the good ol' days either, I can think of a couple of jerks in the past who were not sweetness)
Welcome. Mycosimian: Mushroom Monkey?? Fungus Ape??
Emilie NorCal

I think I'll go puke in the bushes.
You comlain about jerks and the problem with that is that you and the other people whining don't think you ever give offence.
But boy have you pushed my buttons. Your call to be saccharine and nice whilst couching that call in weasel words is pukefully hypocritical.
Why mention 'healthy atmosphere' and 'nice positive people' and then be so dishonest as to attack others and disguise your hypocricy and nastiness by using weasel words like 'negativity' or, as Kate did, 'hateful'?
If you're going to attack someone, just be plain nasty rather than trying to disguise it as being about the health of the ng.
"FarmI" wrote

Heh heh heh.......hell yeah!
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 09:00:40 -0700 (PDT), Mycosimian

Don't worry about it. Glad to hear you are a wiseacre. Ain't nothing wrong with some yelling and hollering. In our family, that has been the law and the norm for, like, forever. Have a big dustup, scream and yell and when the dust settles, everyone still loves one another and on we go, usually a little wiser and a little closer.

Huh??? What bushes? I think you meant this to go to farml, one of our straightshooters. Google can be a bit confusing, neh? Worthless for the Usenet, IMNSHO.
Farml may like puke, but I prefer me own urine for bush fertilization.
Charlie
In article

Grrrrrrrrr
--

- Billy

I don't think a bit of puke ever hurt any bushes. Possibly the puke may act like free fertiliser.

I'm posting through the new AOL of news groups, Google groups, so I am not sure if my messages are showing up in the order that I post them. There is no way to be certain until it either shows up or not.
Anyway, I was thinking more about this. The main problem with my post wasn't really that I used inflammatory language, but that I directed it at other people, which is exactly the issue. It wouldn't have been as bad if I had said that the problem was with me being a jerk. It is something that I often excel at. Anyway, I am sorry for calling all of you a bunch of jerks. I'll try not to defend or rationalize it, if I can help myself. I think it's too late.

They seem to be in order. At least they do in terms of following the sense of what you write.

Please don't feel the need to apologise, defend or rationalise. Your post was only a mild one but it did press my buttons. But then you weren't the only one.
Having been on usenet for years, I know it's slowly dieing, but its dieing because ISPs right round the world are dropping newsgroup access. I have seen some monumental hissy fits on ngs and anything I've seen in this ng has been so bland, its beige.
Your post won't be held against you. You're part of a community and although it may only be a usenet community, it is still a community. Every community has its disagreements and its odd snarly sessions and then everyone who has any sense moves on. Holding a grudge is a waste of energy and that energy is best used digging.

Irrational behavior cannot be rationalized. There are no defenses for defenseless actions. Apologies might not be acceptable. A grudge, like love, is a strong attachment. It is a much more difficult task to release it than to hold fast forever.