I've noticed lately here on wreck gardens......

Page 1 of 2
Good day friends, madgardener poking her face over the garden hedge on this bright and sunny Spring day that here in upper Northeastern Tennessee is TOO warm and it's forcing the blooming trees to fast forwards. I will write of them in a later post. Right now I wanted to just say that recently I've noticed here on wreck gardens that when me or anyone answers a question (a sincere one, not a troll who is trying to pick a fight amongst us) it goes usually where it goes. They are appreciative or they are dubious or someone decides they need to just "come for an argument" in the words of the old Monty Python skit..........I don't mind the questions or doubts, and over the course of years and with my aging and maturity (still working on it all day by day as are we all) I don't tend to let the arguments bother me as much anymore, I overlook the goads and move on.
But I recently as you may or may not have seen, answered someone's question regarding Japanese beetle erradication. I realize that this person has trees now, (fast reading late at night and reading glasses that need upgrading and older eyes that have now had cataracts taken off and fixed partially) and that hand picking was absolutely out of the question. My observation though was this person decided that I was fulla shit. that I hadn't had experiences personally with Japanese beetles, not seen one up close and although correct about my "verbose trilogy" regarding the containers (we all know I am long winded and write rambles!! LOL) that I was paraphrasing the advice to them. well, as some of you older residents know, if I DO quote someone elses experiences, I tend to give credit where credit is due. '
I guess I should just take it on the chin and move on with the container gardening that I am forced to do while I am living in someone elses home. I am still renting and my pleasures of gardening is strictly in many, many containers of perennials, bulbs and a few shrubs. But it doesn't void my previous experiences I had extensively when I lived in Faerie Holler over in Dandridge for almost 14 years. I still compost, I still do raised bed gardening. I still grow perennials, houseplants, cacti and succulents, blooming shrubs although in large containers now instead of them planted in the ground because I am renting right now, and I still even grow vegetables in containers in spite of previously having land to garden on. It was easier to grow some things in containers for me even in my former Faerie Holler.
I guess I just needed to validate that I am who I say I am, done what I say I've done and there are those out there who know this and who lurk. And I don't take myself too seriously except I don't offer solutions unless I KNOW they are proven and tried. I will write a ramble soon about the goings on here in upper Northeastern Tennessee where the blooming trees are unseasonably doing their thing right now..
madgardener, gardening in zone 7a, Sunset zone 36 in downtown Greeneville, TN.
Maddie, it wasn't necessary to defend yourself on here. Rec Gardens is truly wrecked now, not what it used to be. Instead of friendly folks talking good talk about gardening, there seems to be a small group of people here who only want to bash each other and some of them, as you experienced, will bash anyone. I try to read the posts and see if someone posts something I can learn from or something I can help with, but there is nothing much going on here except arguing and silly, childish name calling, no matter who the OP is or what the post is about, everything is lost as soon as certain names appear in the thread. Just read a few and you will see who they are, their names appear multiple times as they hijack the posts to occupy themselves with their endless ranting to and about each other and some of them jump on just anyone who happens along, like what happened to you. Maybe some day all the trashers and bashers will move on, or we may just have to get this place rezoned.
Gloria

Gloria wrote:

Gloria,
You are 100 percent, this group is no longer what it used to be and, for garden discussions, it is almost useless. The trashers, bashers, hijackers, and off topic posters have taken over the group and ruined it. That is why a LOT of us have "moved on" to moderated boards.
Is it really sad that the egocentric people that have ruined this (and other) newsgroup(s) can't see the errors of their ways. I only hope that, one day, karma catches up with them.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

"You are never to old to play in the dirt"

"Trashers and bashers" strike back. When did we ever sip tea and sit with our knees tightly together, listening raptly as we were spoken to from on high? Did Eden ever exist? Democracy and free speech may be messy but it is the best that we've got. If you can't see that everything is connected to everything, maybe you should get your eyes checked. In the meantime, tape up your roll of dimes tightly ;O)
--

- Billy
Billy wrote:

You (and a few others) have chased a lot of good people from this newsgroup and, my bet, is that you will continue to do that. I am all for democracy and free speech but what you (and a few others) do is just plain mean and it has *nothing* to do with "everything being connected". You just do what you do because you can and know that we can't do anything about it (other than leave).
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

"You are never to old to play in the dirt"

Bill R
Usenet is a wilderness that needs to be dealt with as something you control. Assuming you have a newsreader crank up your kill file. But be warned you will miss the tidbits that suggest others but that is your choice. Reading news via goggle affords wider audience access but the cost is lack of control. So you must go to a moderated forum where someone you do not know decides what you will read. I personally just kill threads and an occasional person . Did you happen to read Peter's post thanking all for the variety of info from one place?
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.

Explain yourself. What do I do? How could I possibly chase anyone from this newsgroup? All books aren't for all people. All music isn't for all people. All people aren't for all people. Are you saying that I shouldn't be allowed in this newsgroup because you, or like minded people, don't want me in this newsgroup? Do you know what a kill file is?
Or, is this about your disbelief in organic gardening and your irritation at being told that organic gardening is better for people, and better for the planet?
Try taking what you find good in the group and leave the rest. No one can force you to leave or to stay.
--

- Billy
Billy wrote:

It is all your name calling and *WAY* off topic posts and your general "nastiness" that bothers me. I believe (VERY MUCH) in freedom of speech but in newsgroups I feel that posters should stick to the subject matter as much as possible and be respectful of others views. You have every right to post in this newsgroup as much as anyone else but there is no right for YOU (or ANYONE) to be as abusive as you often are.
And I have explained to you (at least 3 times) I *AM* an organic gardener but you STILL keep accusing me of not being one because *ONCE* I recommended someone (who asked about it) use fertilizer and since then you have jumped all over just about everything I post.
And I'm not the only one that receives your abuse. You are *VERY* mean to a *LOT* of people (just because you can be) and you have absolutely no respect for *anyone* who does not agree with you. Filters and kill files don't work 100 percent and it is easier to just give up on this newsgroup than try to filter out people like you. Since you have "taken over" this newsgroup I find very little good here. And you are very wrong about one person (*YOU*) forcing people out. If anything, *YOU* are very good at doing that. MANY people that have left the group (I still hear from some of them and a few have mentioned you as the reason) and, no doubt, many more will. I don't know what you hope to accomplish (other than proving that you can really be mean) but, whatever it is, it is NOT what the group WAS about.
--
Bill R.

e-mail address disguised to reduce spam

Gloria and you were the ones to insert the invective,"Trashers and bashers", into this newsgroup.
Can you cite an example of being off topic? (Sorry, if you don't like my story. Next installment coming soon ;O) Some people seem to enjoy it.
That ignorant/lazy people who think paying Monsanto and Dow to poison the Earth is a good idea should irritate any organic gardener. The modt recent case was a "person" wanting to control Japanese Beetles with Sevin (a broad spectrum insecticide which also kills bees and other pollinators) when "milky spores" (target specific fungus) was available.
The "many" that you claim have left could always have deleted my posts by hand, or are you like a moth attracted to the flame?
There are many kinds of people in the world and for the most part, thaey aren't going to change, just because your unhappy with that.
--

- Billy

I keep waiting for someone to post the charter and faq for this group.
Just like any garden, this garden needs a few weeds, no?
Charlie
Charlie wrote

This is no different than hundreds of other unmoderated Newsgroups, especially in so much as those who do the most complaining are those who are most guilty of what they complain about.

Thank you
Dr. Jekyll
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
exactly... and as I discovered after planting a datura this last year.... some come armed with KNIVES. holy garden manure.... why dont they post warnings on these things... look so pretty and are sooooo nasty. Ingrid
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:30:01 -0500, Charlie wrote:

I do believe that we have just been "trashed and bashed". Will someone please undo this lady's chains and let her move on?
--

- Billy
In article

Seems sweet Gloria does not post that much but is sometimes known as Howard.
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.home.lawn.garden/browse_thread/thread /34831968132fca2f/cb18a08e710bf918?q=>
Sure knows how to ring Bill R's bell.
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
use your kill file to get rid of obnoxious posters. you dont even have to see them. AND...... do NOT respond to obnoxious posters either. Ingrid
Rec Gardens is

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 11:20:01 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Don't take it to heart dear Maddie. Some newsgroups are much more friendly and appreciative than others.

And there are still some friendly people here, enjoying spring and gardening and the peaceful feeling one gets when working with nature.
It was here in Nashville that I fisrt heard the term "hateful." I have no idea why some folks enjoy being so but that's their burden.
My roses have bloomed! I've got bachelor buttons coming up right next to them - blue and red ought to be lovely.
Kate - who won't be drawn in again
On Apr 28, 3:27 pm, snipped-for-privacy@notme.com wrote:

Kate Red Roses and Blue BBs will be really beautiful. My roses have been quite lovely and large this Spring. I was dead heading some today, and they don't seem to have minded this wacky weather at all. Days of 90 degrees, dropping to the 50s the next day REALLY feels cold! Especially when the wind blows and there has been a lot of that, too.
The Abutilons are starting to bloom, and the Red Bottlebrush is almost covered with red brushes which the Hummingbirds and Bees are thoroughly enjoying.
Happy Spring Emilie NorCal
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:32:31 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca

Hi Emilie,
We've had weird weather too - my tomatoes are just sitting there, confused and not growing. High 80's, then high 40's. I've got my fingers crossed for rain, which is in the forecast.
The cinquefoil is getting ready to bloom - I love the buttery blossoms and the St. John's Wort, which I erroneously weeded out for a couple of years has footholds in three spots - I'll be harvesting the blossoms and experimenting wth a salve for aches and pains. My cat is enjoying the catnip.
Ah to be in Nashville, now that Spring is here!
Kate