I Need Some Tree Advice Please

Ok, the apples that landed me in hot water are still sitting in their pots in the driveway, as it won't dry up enough to dig. Sitting in the drive is a daily reminder, to my dear, of my transgression!

Should I not sweat it, and just wait until it does quit raining or should I start digging and try and find some dry soil to haul in for the fill? Approaching heat concerns me.

I am keeping them watered and giving them a bite to eat each week.

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks Charlie, smoothing off the day's rough edges with a radish sammich, and Wizz Jones on the Winamp

Reply to
Charlie

Hey Charlie:

Go read the fruit tree planting thingy'bob on the St. Lawerence Nursery website.

tell us northern people to shovel the snow off, dig the hole and plant the tree.

I'm waiting for the frost in the ground to go away so I can dig holes to plant the trees that I have potted up. (I did some grafts and bought some trees from St. Lawerence.)

As of yesterday, the frost was between 12" and 17" down in my preferred planting spots. It's time to get out the shovel and do it.

Jan Zone 3

PS: For you folks in the southern latitudes, the "frost" means where the soil is frozen, or where you hit ice when you dig a hole in the ground. As a native San Franciscan, I always thought ice was something they put in your cocktail, until I moved to Alaska.

Reply to
Jan Flora

Charlie,

Unless you are afraid the trees will become root bound in the pots, you could even wait another season to plant them. It's unclear how big and heavy the pots are, but they could be moved into the garage for the winter. I would not plant them in the heat of the summer season, but early fall might work for you. As long as you keep the trees watered, the sun should not damage them. If any of them put out fruit this year, it is better to remove it until the trees become more mature. This will encourage better root development.

Sherw> Ok, the apples that landed me in hot water are still sitting in their

Reply to
sherwindu

What's the soil type? I won't dig wet clay... it's pretty disastrous. Smoosh all the airspace out.

Or plan G or so: repot into larger tubs, hold for fall planting.

Not sure I'd feed trees to be transplanted. Water yes, but no fertilizer except maybe a little compost tea or other very dilute fertilizer. A *little*. and *very dilute*.

Kay

Reply to
Kay Lancaster

Hunker down boy. Wash some dishes. Replace the empty toilet paper roll. Don't dare act happy about anything. Remind the missus how she is the best thing that ever happened to you and, remember, the missus is going to be right about EVERYTHING until you can get some apples off your damn trees. In the mean time, mix in a little Chet Atkins to your "I'm dumber than dirt" cowboy music.

I think we can pull you through this thing boy but its' gonna' take some time.

- Bill Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Reply to
Bill Rose

I have dwarf fruit trees in big tubs. the fig trees are in cheap 5 buck plastic tubs

are hauled into a heated area before the first frost.

top dress with a bit of aged manure/compost rather than "feed" them. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at

up:
the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Reply to
dr-solo

You mean it is colder than a summer in San Francisco? Brrr.

- Bill(y) Coloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

Reply to
Bill Rose

The message

from Bill Rose contains these words:

The breath of the dragon. Punishment is nigh.

Don't feed the apple trees; this is like pushing lumps of raw steak down a baby's throat. Just water them, but remember, submerging the baby under the bathwater is not good either.

Now would be a good time to invite his mother in law to stay, or to finish those DIY repair projects he started a few years ago.

Janet

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

The apples are in the ground.. staked and watered and composted and mulched. Combining the advice given, I got'r'done. I appreciate the discussion the other day about filling back with native soil only.

Loam soil, not overly wet after all. (whole lot of stewing for nothing, I guess).

They would have been rootbound later in the season.

Repotting was not an option. Not planting them *today* was not an option either, if you know what I mean! There was *no* chance of repotting or holding over.

I finished in the rain. Grandson has come over and we are movin' out back and plant some containers.

Thanks all Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Words from the master! I've been feeling a bit like the poor little mole guy in the whack-a-mole game. THink i'll mop the kitchen floor after grandson and I pot some plants, maybe make a nice supper for all........sound like a plan?

Domo arigato gozaimasu Grasshopper Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

No place is colder than a summer in The City : )

Jan

Reply to
Jan Flora