I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of?

Peas, peas, peas, and more peas.

Every 3-4 days, I have at least 13 gallons of peas to pick, shell, wash, blanch, and freeze. Do this every year, but seem to have a lot more than usual.

Not really sick of them, but they (& the work mostly) are getting rather

*old*. LOL. Was even seeing them in my sleep last night...go figure!

What have you had excess of in your garden this year that you are *sick* of?

Rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

Nothing yet, but I'm just starting to harvest.

I have a recipe someplace for a "fresh pea" soup that is tasty, cool and minty.

Cheryl Isaak

I'll take that recipe, please, if/whenever you have time to find it & copy.

BTW: don't think email went thru yesterday, but you have snail mail on the way...

rae

Reply to
rachael simpson

Reply to
Aluckyguess

We're not doing anything on that scale, but we do have lots of hot peppers (about 2 dozen plants, roughly, most of which are bearing well). And, you see, one doesn't put very much hot pepper in each dish.

My boyfriend assures me that we'll just have more to freeze this way. I'm wondering whether he is planning on activating the currently unused basement chest freezer just for his peppers :-).

As for peas, we planted only a short row of edible pod peas (reduces the shelling, at least). Next year I'll grow more if I can think of where to put them.

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

The local deer took out our Malabar this year and almost everything else. Shot one in the ass with my BB gun who was munching our baby Japanese maples.

Guess you know sweet potato vines can be used the same way.

Bill

PS new neighbor asked if his dad can hunt on our lands.

Duh

Reply to
William Wagner

You can make hot pepper vingar...if y'all like hot sauces... I have put up 6 quart jars of it so far with my extra cayennes.

our peas are crowders & black eyes varieties.

main type (ie, the ones I am constantly picking) are dixielees, purple hull, and cow-eyes

Reply to
rachael simpson

lol, we had one trying to hunt in our pasture last year.....dummy, he was. had another dummy who's best hunting dog thought our horse here at the house was a deer...real bright I'd say.

Reply to
rachael simpson

M u s t r e s i s t......... d o n ' t t y p e

G e o r........No........must not say it......

Yes, say it! NO! must not type Bu................no!!!!!!!

BUSH beans!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

lolololol...........yeah, I'd say you got it bbbbaaaaddd!!!

although, i thought you might've said habaneros...lol

Reply to
rachael simpson

By Duh I meant it was a given or please do. These guys hunt in Montana every year. Not stupid by a long shot. Pun.

Serious hunters that eat their kills.

Deer here eat everything as do the new ground hogs that came here in the last three years. I'd guess habitat loss is the reason for the encroaching loss of our gardens.

Bill who has a deer about 30 feet from my house often.

Reply to
William Wagner

Yeah, I figured that.........but these self-proclaimed "rednecks" around here aren't too bright, if they think they are going to find deer in fenced in pastures....

Reply to
rachael simpson

Showed this AM, but I'm being lazy

Cold Pea Soup From Linda Larsen, INGREDIENTS:

  • 1-1/2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed * 10 oz. can ready to use chicken broth * 1 cup half and half * 1 celery stalk, chopped * 1 lettuce leaf, torn into pieces * 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint * 1/4 tsp. salt * 1/8 tsp. pepper

PREPARATION: Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender, cover, and process or blend until smooth. Chill thoroughly before serving. Sprinkle a little more fresh mint on each serving. 4 servings Sponsored Links

Reply to
Cheryl Isaak

I can eat my weight in peas, I love them. I have grown tired of zucchini--the more you pick the more they produce, and the neighbor are sick of them. I have lots of tomatoes (early girl, better boy, big boy, Rutgers, beefsteak, grape and cherry), not sick of them yet. Tomatoes are doing exceptionally well this year.

Reply to
Phisherman

my hubby can too...but he doesn't have to do the work! lol seriously now, we both love peas, that's why we grow so many in the garden. So I can freeze the extras to cook off-season. But this year, it just seems to be too much....maybe because of the fact we have 2 babies this year, instead of just the one, so garden time is more limited....

we didn't grow zukes this year....also plenty of maters, not sick of them either as there are so many ways and things you can make with them.

Reply to
rachael simpson

Summer Squash and Zucchini.

I can't go over to my in-law's house without returning with a bushel full.

I think they're almost done though. Thank heaven!

-Tim S. New Jersey, 6b

Reply to
Tim

Reply to
Steve Peek

The zucchini that came up where I planted seeds from a packet that was supposed to contain the seeds of the yellow squash pictured on it. YUK!

Reply to
ctlady

illegal immigrants.

Reply to