I'm about to eviscerate a lot of squirrels if I can't get some help.

Page 2 of 2

Get a Jack Russell Terrorist dog. They're bred to kill things.
Jan
--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

rec.birds just had a useful discussion on this topic under the heading "squirrel question." I think some people described using nonlethal pellet guns.
Re trapping and relocating -- squirrels? By the hundreds?
And cats aren't especially useful against squirrels, which have exact knowledge of cats' limitations (how far they can jump) and can tease them mercilessly. Yes, on purpose -- I've seen squirrels lure a cat up into a tree, only to run down the tree on the other side and then sneak up on the cat from behind, chittering at it, while it was splayed helplessly on the trunk above the squirrel. I also once saw a squirrel "train" a young cat on its first Spring outing. The cat ran up a tree after the squirrel, which turned around and boxed the young cat's ears -- yes, it hit the cat on both ears with its paws! Luckily, the whole episode was repeated a few minutes later, and, luckily, my daughter saw it too, or I would doubt whether it actually happened.
helco

LOL. Oh the indignity of it all! Dora
And not a single flame! Is Usenet growing up after 20 years?! :)
THANKS TO EVERYONE! I love the blood meal idea!!! And its good for my plants!

Good luck with it. You have to be fairly vigilant about applying the blood meal around the plants. And if they are really hungry, I don't know how well it will work. One of my neighbors feeds every invasive pest there is, and while it attracts scads of pigeons etc., the squirrels probably don't dig up as many bulbs, etc. as they might otherwise.
I don't think there are many gardeners who haven't had to contend with squirrels and even if the gentler souls have probably felt like throttling the little buggers. The last I saw of my sunflowers last year was a fat little squirrel bum bouncing across the garden with the entire flower head in his mouth. Dora

You got that right!
Many tales to tell. The most recent: I put in 6 plants each of three varieties of strawberries. Saw nice fat berries ripening. Went out to pick -- surprise! Somebody had been there first. Had to improvise a mickey-mouse fence with netting on type. So far, so good...
The last I saw of my sunflowers last

Few years ago, my plum tree was on the way out. Only one limb still bearing. I had to go out of town, and wasn't about to sacrifice those few plums to THEM. Got a bunch of small paper bags and carefully tied them around each plum. Lotta work. In vain. How did they get those bags off???!!!!
Persephone
I got one of those edible pit apricot trees from Stark. 5th year after it was planted it bloomed all over. I rubbed my hands gleefully and thought, this is it. finally. well ..... the squirrels found the pits, they stripped the entire tree of medium sized green apricots overnight to get those yummy pits. I cut the tree down the next day. no use training squirrels to strip all peach and apricot trees of fruit looking for those edible pits.
stark must know that those edible pits put the fruit at risk. I mean where in the world is there a place doesnt have tree rats?
kill em, kill em all. Ingrid
Persephone wrote:

You just gave the answer. However, unless you see them in pots, as you say, "living in them" they are not what is doing the damage. Squirrels don't eat seedlings that I know of. They eat nuts, fruits, and seeds, acorns, etc.
I just came in and there are aborted peaches on the ground and my husband asked me if I thought it was the squirrels and I said, "I don't care if it is."
Let it go. Killing is the worst thing you could do for yourself. Please avoid that at all costs. Not to save the squirrels, but to save the nightmare you'll have when you are a squirrel in another lower life.
Squirrels dig up lots of stuff just to see if it's something they want. They are attracted to freshly disturbed soil thinking that they have found the cache of another animal to rob from. They're nasty, devious destructive pests.
Gloria

But delicious, if prepared properly. It isn't often you get a chance to eliminate vermin and fill the cook pot with the same shot. I use a 22 and a pump-em-up pellet gun. Season here is nine months, but they taste good year 'round. Coyotes get the coons.
cheers
oz, whose karma is just fine, thank you
much better than shotgun and picking all those pellets out ...

And so cute! I've also noticed that they dig up where I've recently planted. I solved the problem of their digging up my flower containers by placing plenty of rocks around the plants when I arrange them. The rocks also help hold in moisture (the containers are cement and dry out quickly).

ADO
here is my question:

[...]
In case you do decide to "terminate them with extreme prejudice" (as they used to ? say in the CIA), be sure to eviscerate *before* broiling (or your preferred method of preparation).

So you've had lots of advice. Who's gonna' stand-up Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde, St. Francis or Freddy Krueger? Who can walk taller?
be very careful with squirrels west of the big river. they been found to carrying plague again. fleas will jump if body is handled. and DONT mow over dead rodents. Ingrid
Persephone wrote:

A .410 works great. We had them living in our attic. After we did an extensive remodeling which involved ripping out most of the walls and all of the ceilings in our house (not because of the squirrels), the critters tried to come back. They would romp and play on the roof and tease and taunt me as they frolicked and scampered about on the deck, even looking in the low windows on the deck. My husband was totally against killing the beasts, but he did trap a few in a sav-a-heart trap and took them to a deeply wooded area 10 miles away. But, there were more of them than the trap could take care of. As their assault on our dwelling continued, I knew it would just be a matter of time till they would find, or MAKE, a way back into our home again. That's when hubby sorrowfully got the .410. The man is a deer hunter, and he has hunted and killed wild turkey and wild hogs, but considered these fluffy tailed rats that built nests in our attic, chewed on the wood up there, pooped, pissed and reproduced up there, to be something that shouldn't be killed ?????? I finally told him it was them or me and he got his .410 and shot one! He told me about it, but didn't produce a carcass for me to see. From then on, he had to bring me a squirrel tail to prove he was doing the deed. I nailed them to the railing on the deck, the one they used to romp on. Blessed peace reigned for a long time. Then, when I started to see them again, and they taunted me every time I tried to shoo them off the deck, I got me a slingshot. I got pretty good with it. The little devils became aware of the yellow strap of the slingshot and would run away as soon as they saw it. Now, peace is reigning again and this time it has lasted for several years. I still see some, in the trees where they belong, but nary a one has dared to approach my house or my deck. if they do, well, I know what to do.
Gloria

Gloria wrote:

I'm with you there, Gloria. I used to have a good wrist rocket and I use glass marbles. I am quite a shot. My wrist rocket has gone missing (after children resembling grandkids were here, so another one is in need of Granny Maddie......they fear me when they see me. No yellow but the sound of the door opening used to strike fear into their little fluffy nutter hearts. I've discovered black walnut trees in the PATHS now because they're too lazy to plant the nuts into the raised beds of loose, rich soils. They come down the Pawlonia tree and taunt me as they raid the bird buffet that they used to be banned from. So beware, I am going to the Fart of Wall (Wall Fart) and purchasing a wrist rocket and my bag of marbles and I hit what I aim's at, thank you very much. Nothing like a glass marble careening towards you at full velocity! I always hit the ass I aim at, and have cracked a few heads with the marbles too! LOL Discovered a little nasty secret about Sugar recently. She adores to kill squirrels and caught her shaking one she'd gotten when it tried to divert her and go around the back of the tree. She was out flanking it and was waiting for it when it went around the back. Saw her come out the backside of a good sized hackberry tree with a fluffy tailed nutter in her mouth and she shook it until she broke it's back, then brought it to me and I told her good dawg and petted her. tossed it into the bendejo's woods over the nine foot chain link fence with the razor barbwire tops for the turkey vultures or coyote to find (they will, in no time) or even the raccoons. I just wish they ate Vinca Major!! LOL
madgardener up on the ridge where we desperately need RAIN, back in Faerie Holler, overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36 where we're in a red burning warning right now, the lightening bugs are three weeks EARLY, the hummingbirds are five weeks EARLY, and I ain't planted my squash seeds in the containers yet.......

Our Vanessa keeps the squirrels and racoons out of our back yard also. She does the same to the squirrels as Sugar. The racoons don't want to tangle with her after she got one of the babies spring of 06.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington