I'll get those pesky squirrels .............

Page 3 of 4
could you send me a picture? snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com
I just got another one in a trap.... it went for a submarine ride. I would much rather just fish them out of a barrel.
Ingrid
What these

Mine have slowed down. I guess the population is coming down. Now, I just get a mouse about every other day. No squirrels in a couple of days now.
Steve

HavaHarts probably require that you have a heart, at least one that finds room for other species. Squirrels are fun loving creatures - a bit opportunistic but then who isn't?
I believe that humans are probably smarter than squirrels and that humans can deal with problems with squirrels without killing them. Perhaps I'm wrong.
Kate

I wonder if the fleas on them that carry plague have the capacity to intellectually comprehend this discussion.
Steve
On 4/25/2009 10:57 AM, snipped-for-privacy@notme.com wrote:

I use a HavaHart at home. When I catch a squirrel, I take the trap down to a state park where there are plenty of hungry coyotes, hawks, and owls and probably some snakes.
Next, I'll have to buy a larger HavaHart to catch raccoons. Raccoons stripped my grape vines of 3/4 of a year's crop. The law does not allow me to relocate raccoons, so I'll let the county's animal control service dispose of them. They will probably dispose of them the same way they dispose of 1/3 of the stray dogs they collect -- not by adoption or relocation but by extermination. :)
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

it isnt smarts... it is time. squirrels have all day to figure out "work arounds", humans need to go to real work.
the problem is the squirrels dont have enough brains to figure out that some yards and fruit trees are "death".
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 12:57:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@notme.com wrote:

you got hanta you might also have yersinia pestis.... plague. I will say the squirrels never touched the fruit trees until we got one of those Stark "edible kernel" apricots and then the squirrels went nuts.
then I moved into town. next door run down house housed families of squirrels in roof of porch. house sold, porch roof removed, squirrels evicted and promptly came to my house next door and began eating their way into my roof, my attic. after 1 year of metal flashing and metal edges and trying everything I had to trap kill 12 of them to hopefully kill every single one that had any memory of eating their way into my house. damn rats. I hope I also got the ones ripping the peaches off my tree. they dont just rip the peaches, they rip off the fruiting spurs as well. damn rats. Ingrid
ing squirrels?

Your best bet is the Hav-A-hart trap and peanut butter. I can catch 4 or 5 per day, and after two weeks, the population is greatly reduced for 6-8 months. After that I start catching them again. I have seen jays divebomb squirrels to drive them off, but there are few predators here. Feeding squirrels will only encourage them to raise families.
squirrels eat bird eggs.

Yesterday a squirrel put his foot on the electrical wire that protects the vegetable garden. He flipped back 5 feet and scolded the wire. He then cautiously jumped onto the fence between two electrical wires and touched the top electrical wire. That zapped him and retreated up a large tree. The Hav-A-Hart trap works too.
all you are doing is pissing him off. he will figure how to get in there if he has to pole vault in. ............

SteveB wrote:

Simple cheap solution: procure one barn cat.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

We have a stray neighborhood cat with one eye. He got into a fight with a squirrel. The hawks prefer snakes over squirrels, but thankfully squirrels are fairly easy to trap. A small price to have two full grown hickory trees.
"Phisherman" wrote:

Costs a lot more to feed a cat than a squirrel.
The domestic cat will almost always lose a fight with a squirrel... mine stay indoors, keeps the vet bills down, however they've never lost a fight with a mouse... don't even have to fight, after two days hiding under the fridge surrounded by six salivating cats the mouse just gives up by commiting suicide.
Squirrels being very territorial will protect the area around their food supply from other squirrels so there will never be too many in one area... their only real competion are the crows... if you find damaged fruit it's much more likely initiated by birds than squirrels, birds will knock fruit to the ground, eat the best parts, and then the squirrels find the pits. My veggie garden isn't far from where the squirrels hang but I've yet to see even one squirrel in there, it's mostly birds that peck the veggies. The easiest way to keep squirrels from ones food crops is to feed them something else that they like better and put it out away from your crop. There are a half dozen squirrels that live in the windbreak of 70 foot Norway spruce trees near my fruit trees. I put out peanuts, sunflower seeds, cheap stale crackers, bread scraps, and whatever bits they will eat that most folks toss in the trash anyway, they love old dried/molded cheese... I simply toss it out my side window at the same time each morning, within two minutes they arrive for their breakfast and to entertain my house cats. They never bother my fruit trees, why would they chose measly fruit pits over peanuts, sunflower seeds, and cookies... doesn't cost me $10 a year to feed the squirrels, certainly less than you'll pay for traps, and I have no aggrivation from squirrels whatsoever... even if you dispatch a few new ones will come to take their place, you'll never get them all. You can't beat squirrels at their own game so it's best to join them... I sorta feel pity for anyone with an IQ less than that of a squirrel.

I MUST get these glasses checked the next time I get to the big city. I'm sure I know the difference between a crow and a squirrel. Lemmesee, the crow is the black one that flies, right? But I'm positive it was the brown ones, the ones with the big furry tails, that's a squirrel, right, up in the tree eating fruit.
Although, IIRC, crows are smart, and for them to don a rented squirrel outfit would not be outside the realm of possibility.
Now I'm confused. But I guess I'll just keep a barrel of water in the garden for those squirrels ...... crows ........... new squirrels ............ old squirrels ......... crows in rented squirrel suits .......... whatever. I need a nap.
Steve ;-)

Have one, but it is an inside cat. She loves to bring them in alive and play with them, sometimes allowing them to escape and go live under the fridge until I catch them.
SteveB wrote:

An "inside cat" is not what you want for this job. That's why I specified a "barn cat". The typical cat which hangs around the barn on a working farm can be a pretty fearsome animal and is more wild than domesticated. Not the sort which will come when you call "kitty, kitty" unless you or something you are holding seems edible.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

When I was a kid, we used to go visit our uncle in northern Idaho. They had a farming operation, and a couple of dairy cows along with that. After being familiar with "city" cats, meeting a "barn" cat was scary. They hissed and spit, and didn't want to have anything to do with you. My uncle cautioned not to try to pick one up. Well, this little city kid figgered a cat was a cat. I never got close enough to pick one up, and shortly saw that picking up one would be akin to picking up a full throttle chain saw. I have seen feral cats that are meaner than the dickens, and tapes of animal control officers getting hold of them. Or vice versa.
I live in an AG1 zone, on a ranch, and a perfect place for a "barn cat." Yet, I guess I'm too citified not to want to let it in when it's blowing a gale and zero outside, thus training it to meow at the door whenever it wants to come in and lay by the fire or cozy up on the bed. Maybe in the future, but right now, my own version of "mousers" is working great.
Steve
On 4/25/2009 5:09 PM, SteveB wrote:

Where I live, a coyote is more likely to catch a cat (even a feral cat) than either of them is likely to catch a squirrel.