I'll get those pesky squirrels .............

Page 1 of 4
I have made mouse traps out of five gallon buckets, and a tin can on a wire stretched over the open end. Wipe peanut butter on the can, and when the mouse steps out on it, it spins and dumps the mouse in the water.
I have been fighting squirrels all spring. Tomorrow a king size version goes up, and we'll see how the squirrels do. Going to get two more for other positions on my property.
Will keep you posted.
Steve

Why?

Why what?

Why are you fighting squirrels?

Because they come into my property, and will strip an apricot tree in half a day. They don't eat the meat, they leave that on the ground. They take off the pits. Same thing with almonds. They eat a lot of stuff, and also destroy a lot without eating it. They chew their way into the shed and plow through a bag of feed, eat some, and urinate and defecate in the rest of the bag while they're in there. We have hantavirus here, and so they bring that with them.
Other than that, I guess they're pretty okay.
Steve

Funny, I have to put out a walnut every morning to get Mr. Squirrel to come say hello.
--

- Billy
In article

How do the squirrel get access to your trees? Are they close to forest trees and can jump from tree to tree or do they have to get down and walk to your trees. I have two dogs and the squirrels NEVER bother my peach trees. On the other hand, I used to have a black walnut that mingled branches with oaks, and I never saw a walnut.
--

- Billy

Oddly enough, these squirrels live in a lava rock canyon next to my property. One day, I saw movement, and declared, "There's a squirrel." "Pshaw (not the word she used), squirrels don't live in rocks." So we watched for a while. Yes, it was a squirrel. We have killed some very large squirrels.
My neighbor has an orchard. They give him so much grief he carries a semi-automatic shotgun on his ranch ATV. One day, he sat all day long, and fired at squirrels in the canyon. He got 17.
They run across open ground to get to the trees and gardens.
My two dogs don't pay them any attention at all, and the cat seems not to notice them, but does go after the mice.
Squirrels live in all sorts of habitat.
Steve

Maybe you need to stop feeding your dogs, or get a couple of border collies, and let the squirrels know there's a new sheriff in town.
--

- Billy

Put out food and water for them and they'll most likely stop marauding your area.
Kate - squirrels gotta eat too

On 4/25/2009 4:29 AM, snipped-for-privacy@notme.com wrote:

The problem is that the food they prefer includes the guavas, kumquats, loquats, and peaches in my back yard. They also really like the leaves on my dwarf orange tree, and the poor tree (being so small) doesn't have many leaves.
One major problem is that squirrels in this area (especially ground squirrels) carry plague.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

I have a neighbor who cut down his fruit trees because the birds were getting the fruit before he did. Seemed like cutting off his nose to spite his face. I have no advice as the trees I plant are meant for wildlife, though I'd love to plant a couple of sour cherry trees. Does netting not work?

How big a problem is plague where you are? I've never heard of cases of plague in TN, but maybe there are.
Kate

Netting works. But, it requires more than a minute to apply and more than a minute to remove for harvesting fruit. Therefore, it is not useful to many people.
not for squirrels it doesnt. an enclosed structure with hardware cloth works for squirrels. maybe...............

Plague, hantavirus, and ebola are very rare. But it's one of those things that can change your life if you're the one in a million that's under a doctor's care for it. And IF you happen to live in an area where it is present, no matter how minimal, you must be aware of it, and at least use common sense minimal precautions.
Do you live where there is lightning? Pretty low odds for getting hit by lightning. But, in my own life, I have had three VERY close encounters with lightning. Within 15' each time. So, although one can't live in a closet and just come out for food, bathroom breaks, and the Larry King show, one does need to take reasonable precautions.
Or not.
Steve

We get lightning and tornados here. I've had a tree drop on the house but besides eventually needing a new roof, no real damage. . Honestly Steve, if I'd had 3 close encounters with mother nature, I wouldn't be killing squirrels, but that's just me.
Kate - and I do have a dog who adores chasing squirrels

On 4/25/2009 11:08 AM, snipped-for-privacy@notme.com wrote [in part]:

Plague among humans is rare but not unknown in southern California.
It seems that the newspapers carry an article at least once each year, warning people to avoid contact with squirrels and other small mammals. This warning is especially strong when the animal appears ill. However, such a warning could also apply to avoiding rabies as much as avoiding plague. When the warning mentions dead animals, then plague is usually the concern.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:51:17 -0700, "David E. Ross"

We get a few cases and a couple of deaths state wide a year from bird flu - lots more people die in car accidents. I can't see condemning the species squirrel (or bird) over a remote possibility. Same goes for rabies. Obviously, if an animal is acting oddly, don't engage it but the media seems to enjoy public hysteria, imo.
Kate
when it comes to hantavirus it is both the feces and dried urine as well as the dead dried bodies that can pass disease. It isnt up to us to decide the risk factor for others. I dont mind snakes, but then I live where there are no poisonous snakes at all and grew up here. people down south have a much different view and I have to respect their dislike.
sick animals dont always "act oddly". happily, rodents dont pass rabies. but even mice scurrying around in the back yard can spread the ticks of lyme disease up in our neck of the north so we dont leave food around that would draw them, and discourage people from putting out bird feeders that would draw them in.
INgrid
On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 21:25:31 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@notme.com wrote:

I have a bird feeder. It's called a lawn. Got ready to go out to the garden this morning, but when I looked out the front window, there were 218 billion birds having some sort of feast on the lawn. Maybe I'm exaggerating and it was only 183 million. More than I've ever seen on my lawn at one time. I decided to read the newspaper for 1/2 hour until they're done.
I don't understand the fascination with bird feeders. I don't live in a wildlife sanctuary. I'm in a "regular neighborhood". There's no shortage of birds. Friends who have feeders don't seem to attract anything more exotic than what I see in my yard. This is upstate NY. What do some people hope to attract with their feeders? Cockatiels?