I have some holes in my garden soil.

I have some holes in my garden soil. They are about 1/2 inch in diameter. By the amount of the soil piles along side I'd guess they are not very deep. I saw an insect by one. It had orange legs and an some orange and some black near the end of it's body. Maybe it looked like a big wasp.
It was filling one of the holes. I watched as it moved dirt and even pebbles almost 1/4 inch long into the hole until it was filled.
There are other holes nearby.
What is the insect?
How do I get rid of it and if it buried eggs - the eggs.
Thanks for any help
You don't say where you are located. But if you are in an area that has Cicadas right now, the insect could be a Wasp known as a Cicada Killer. Do a goolge image search for Cicada Killer. Marilyn

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:42:29 -0400, " Netter"

It sounds like a cicada killer wasp. They mind their own business and do not form colonies, although multiple individuals will make their own burrows in a favorable location. They kill large insects and bury them along with an egg so that the larva has something to feed on.
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:42:29 -0400, " Netter"

Probably a wasp of some kind. Dig up the eggs if you want, but why? why not leave them alone. They aren't hurting anything, except for some pest insects they harvest for food for their young. Wasps harvest grubs from my lawn and don't bother me, except when I step on them with bare feet.
On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:42:29 -0400, " Netter"
:) I have some holes in my garden soil. :) They are about 1/2 inch in diameter. :) By the amount of the soil piles along side I'd guess they are not very deep. :) I saw an insect by one. :) It had orange legs and an some orange and some black near the end of it's :) body. :) Maybe it looked like a big wasp. :) :) It was filling one of the holes. :) I watched as it moved dirt and even pebbles almost 1/4 inch long into the :) hole until it was filled. :) :) There are other holes nearby. :) :) What is the insect? :) :) How do I get rid of it and if it buried eggs - the eggs. :) :) :) :) Thanks for any help :) guessing the great golden digger wasp... http://www.floridanature.org/species.asp?species=Sphex_ichneumoneus should be a non issue for you as far as needing to get rid of it. Keeping the area wet will encourage them to nest elsewhere.
Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
Dancing dog is back! http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv
I should have mentioned that this is central New York.
The holes are in part of the lawn that needs reseeding.
Giving the above do you still think I should leave them alone?
Thanks

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:26:51 -0400, " Netter"

remain attractive to wasps. If you rid yourself of the present batch, more will show up, until you rid the entire area of them. Solitary bees and wasps, to my knowledge, do not defend their nests of spots where they have laid eggs, so they shouldn't present an ongoing problem except for the holes they dig. As I mentioned before, don't step on them with bare feet.
thanks

Treatment may depend on what kind of wasp you have. I live outside of Philadelphia. One of the local news stations had a segment on Cicada killers. http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=local&idD46928 My sister is having a problem in her yard with them and as Lar suggested in a previous message she is keeping the area wet to discourage them. She has a neighbor whose lawn is mostly brown because of them. If it another type of wasp that is nesting in the ground, using a pesticide ( I prefer organic) in the evening when they are all in the nest will help to decrease or eliminate the wasp population. Good Luck, Marilyn

thanks