I don't think this is a habanero

Good Evening,

Not being an experienced pepper raiser , the pepper plant that I have has been posing as a habanero, but I blew it's cover when investigating pepper pics on the net. However, I'm still not really sure what it is. If anyone would like to visit my homepage and have a look, the link is

think it's probably one of those purple tigers or something like that.

Thanks,

Moo

Reply to
MOO112

What size are the fruits? How do they taste? Thanks.

Regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Hello,

The fruits, which start out purple, are about 3/4" to 1" long, and around 1/2" circumferance in diameter. After several weeks, the purple fruits will change to vanilla, then to orange, and then to red. The bush is around 2-1/2' tall, and is 2 and a half years old. The peppers are quite hot.

Does picking peppers promote new pepper growth, or is the yield predetermined?

Thanks,

Moo

Reply to
MOO112

An interesting color display for a pepper. I wonder if, like the chocolate peppers, this one turns green when you fry it, regardless of the color stage it is in. Have you tasted them in the purple, vanilla, orange stages? I can't always wait for my peppers to turn red.

I would guess maybe so, but it may not be drastically more. I have one plant that had only five peppers on it for the longest time. Now that 2 are picked and 2 full sized I see a new flush of flowers on the plant. You would probably need to pick them before they ripen. I guess it is a matter of how the plant is engineered. When are seeds ready? If only when the pepper is ripe(red, yellow) then you need to avoid ripe fruit. Removing peppers will certainly allow the plant to divert energy and nutrients somewhere else (other fruit, flowering)

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email) Zone 6b/7, Westchester Co, NY, 1 mile off L.I.Sound

1st Year Gardener
Reply to
DigitalVinyl

That's the "Firecracker"

Lovely plant - tasty too!

Reply to
Seamus Ma' Cleriec

I haven't fried any of the peppers yet to know if they become green in the pan. I have cooked with the red ones (the most mature), by chopping them up into very small pieces. The pepper plant in the pictures has at least 100 peppers on it, with more coming each day. I will do a taste test of the various colors this weekend. I do know that the red ones are pretty dang hot.

Thanks,

Moo

Reply to
MOO112

Thanks for the ID. Yes, we do have a Firecracker. However, the taste is more like dynamite.

Thanks

Reply to
MOO112