I am New.

Page 1 of 2

Hello Everyone, I am new and from Connecticut, We just moved here a month ago. Into a new home we have no lawn or anything because the house was just renovated. We have some seriou seeding to do soon, we are trying ot figure out where we will garden etc... it is a lot of fun, we have such a large blank canvas. I am curious what you all know about lawns too, We have a some what rocky construction site are for a front yard. I know we need to get most the rocks out before we seed but any other good ideas? Also, we are trying to figure out what plants grow good in this climate since we just moved here. Thanks for all your help! Tiffany B
Are you for real? Why don't you try growing rocks. They seem to be growing very easily inside your head.
<DIV><FONT face="Bookman Old Style" color=#008000>Hello Everyone,</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Bookman Old Style" color=#008000>I am new and from Connecticut, We just moved here a month ago. Into a new home we have no lawn or anything because the house was just renovated. We have some seriou seeding to do soon, we are trying ot figure out where we will garden etc... it is a lot of fun, we have such a large blank canvas. I am curious what you all know about lawns too, We have a some what rocky construction site are for a front yard. I know we need to get most the rocks out before we seed but any other good ideas? Also, we are trying to figure out what plants grow good in this climate since we just moved here.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Bookman Old Style" color=#008000>Thanks for all your help!</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Bookman Old Style" color=#008000>Tiffany B</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Sister Suds wrote:

Tiffany,
I am pretty new on this newsgroup, but it seems every newsgroup has someone like whoever "sister suds" is, but I am beginning to understand the recent "mean spirited" thread of recent posts. If that post was sent in all seriousness, ignore her. This group can be of great help to both the amateur gardener and the experienced. Perhaps "Sister" got out of the wrong side of the bed this am, or perhaps had a fight with a loved one, who knows, just know your question sure seems pretty valid to me (but then who am I <BG>)
I am in NJ, but I have family in CT. Yes you are blessed with rocks all over CT (thats how they got all those stone walls. Do the best you can removing the smaller one. The small boulders you might want to plant around, letting them guide you as to where your beds may be created (Alpines love rock gardens). Also rocks that cannot be moved can also become part of a water feature using them to cascade water over.
What kind of sunlight do you have? Also its important to know you soil acidity before making any recommendations.
Rich Haynes
Rich, My front yard is full sun no shade at all. Most the rocks are small but the yard is large so it is going to a big project. My husband and I were trying to decide what the easiest way would be.. maybe creating a large sifter with two by fours and some chicken wire and just shovel and dumb when we are done spread it out and maybe add some top soil. We did buy a soil test set... we have never used any thing like that it has four tubs each have a different pill in them. My question was serious and Sister Sud was quite rude. Very mean and immature but, what can you do. Anyways Rich thanks for the help it is neat to meet a fellow gardner close to my location. Tiffany B.
face="Bookman Old Style" color=#008000>...<BR>&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Hello Everyone,<BR>&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am new and from Connecticut, We just moved here a month ago. Into<BR>&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; a new home we have no lawn or anything because the house was just<BR>&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; renovated. We have some seriou seeding to do soon, we are trying ot<BR>&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; figure out where we will garden etc... it is a lot of fun, we have<BR>&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; such a large blank canvas. I am curious what you all know about<BR>&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; lawns too, We have a some what rocky construction site are for a<BR>&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; front yard. I know we need to get most the rocks out before we seed<BR>&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; but any other good ideas? Also, we are trying to figure out what<BR>&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; plants grow good in this climate since we just moved here.<BR>&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks for all your help!<BR>&gt; &gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Tiffany B<BR>&gt; ****************************************<BR>&gt; Tiffany,<BR>&gt; = <BR>&gt; I am pretty new on this newsgroup, but it seems every newsgroup has <BR>&gt; someone like whoever "sister suds" is, but I am beginning to understand <BR>&gt; the recent "mean spirited" thread of recent posts. If that post was sent <BR>&gt; in all seriousness, ignore her. This group can be of great help to both <BR>&gt; the amateur gardener and the experienced. Perhaps "Sister" got out of <BR>&gt; the wrong side of the bed this am, or perhaps had a fight with a loved <BR>&gt; one, who knows, just know your question sure seems pretty valid to me <BR>&gt; (but then who am I &lt;BG&gt;)<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I am in NJ, but I have family in CT. Yes you are blessed with rocks all <BR>&gt; over CT (thats how they got all those stone walls. Do the best you can <BR>&gt; removing the smaller one. The small boulders you might want to plant <BR>&gt; around, letting them guide you as to where your beds may be created <BR>&gt; (Alpines love rock gardens). Also rocks that cannot be moved can also <BR>&gt; become part of a water feature using them to cascade water over.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; What kind of sunlight do you have? Also its important to know you soil <BR>&gt; acidity before making any recommendations.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Rich Haynes</FONT></BODY></HTML> ------=
On Fri, 05 Mar 2004 10:11:55 -0500, Tiffany Bastian wrote:

As you said, you have a blank canvas. Minimize the lawn and bring on the perennials and plantings.
You may wish to visit some area botanic gardens to get ideas. It's probably a good idea to make this a 3-5 year project so it grows with your adjusting to the new space.
Ornamental grasses are a must for today's landscape. They hold gardens together nicely throughout the year. For seasonal variation, plug the holes with perennials and surprises. Works great around these parts. Should work nicely for you.
Have fun!

Welcome to New England.

Only if you really want a lawn. And then, you only need to get out the rocks on the surface. But think what a lawn means: Seed, water, water, water, water, mow, water, mow, water, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, weed, mow, mow, mow, mow, water, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, water, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, weed, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, water, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, water, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, fertilize, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, etc. (Alternatively, hire a lawn service, pay, pay, pay, pay...) After all that you have a lawn that looks like all the other lawns around you.
Since you have a blank slate, consider alternatives to a lawn. You have rocks. Collect them and make a rock garden with some perennials. Make a flower garden with some combination of perennials and annuals. (If you are in a subdivision with a homeowners association with teeth, check their rules first. For some reason they generally want no individuality.)
If you have kids, you will probably want some lawn for them, but keep a buffer of shrubs or hedge between them and the road. If you don't have kids, what do you need a lawn for? Most people don't use it for anything other than an occasional cookout. Consider a small (depending on your lawn) soccer field for the neighborhood: get to know your neighbors and get some exercise.
Set aside the sunniest spot for flowers and vegetables. There's nothing better than fresh stuff from your own garden.
PS: if this is really a new house, didn't the builder put in a lawn?
Dwight we live in military housing so I have limits as to what I can do, it is newly renovated and they left the lawn to us. I do have a child and will be doing daycare from my home. I have sectioned off two large areas I wll use as flower beds. Thanks for all the great ideas. Tiffany B.
Where in New England Are You?
face="Bookman Old Style" color=#008000>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face="Bookman Old Style" color=#008000>&gt; &gt; Tiffany Bastian wrote:<BR>&gt; &gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; ...We have a some what rocky construction site are for a front yard...<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Welcome to New England.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; I know we need to get most the rocks out before we seed...<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Only if you really want a lawn. And then, you only need to get out the<BR>&gt; rocks on the surface. But think what a lawn means: Seed, water, water,<BR>&gt; water, water, mow, water, mow, water, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,<BR>&gt; mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, weed, mow, mow, mow, mow, water, mow, mow, mow,<BR>&gt; mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, water, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,<BR>&gt; mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,<BR>&gt; weed, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, water,<BR>&gt; mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, water, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,<BR>&gt; mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,<BR>&gt; fertilize, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow, mow,<BR>&gt; mow, mow, mow, etc. (Alternatively, hire a lawn service, pay, pay, pay,<BR>&gt; pay...) After all that you have a lawn that looks like all the other<BR>&gt; lawns around you.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Since you have a blank slate, consider alternatives to a lawn. You have<BR>&gt; rocks. Collect them and make a rock garden with some perennials. Make a<BR>&gt; flower garden with some combination of perennials and annuals. (If you<BR>&gt; are in a subdivision with a homeowners association with teeth, check<BR>&gt; their rules first. For some reason they generally want no<BR>&gt; individuality.)<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; If you have kids, you will probably want some lawn for them, but keep a<BR>&gt; buffer of shrubs or hedge between them and the road. If you don't have<BR>&gt; kids, what do you need a lawn for? Most people don't use it for anything<BR>&gt; other than an occasional cookout. Consider a small (depending on your<BR>&gt; lawn) soccer field for the neighborhood: get to know your neighbors and<BR>&gt; get some exercise.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Set aside the sunniest spot for flowers and vegetables. There's nothing<BR>&gt; better than fresh stuff from your own garden.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; PS: if this is really a new house, didn't the builder put in a lawn?</FONT></BODY></HTML> ------=

Massachusetts, east central about 30 miles from Boston, 20 miles from Worcester, 20 miles from NH. Zone 6 or maybe 5 some years.
As you may have gathered from my post, I have a thing against lawns. I consider them a useless waste of time and space. My lawn is about an acre and it gets mowed four times a year whether it needs it or not. I don't water, fertilize or weed. I drive and park on it. It would consume me if I let it, but as you can see, I don't let it. (I try not to let it. My wife has some input on the subject, frequently different from mine.) There is a buffer between the lawn and the road, so unless you look up close, it's generally nice and green. Up close it's somewhat ragged, but it's still green. Since I don't mow in the summer, it stays green. I don't recommend this regimen for anyone with an ordinary lawn mower. It won't hack the tall stuff. I have a 6 foot flail mower to keep it down.
However, if you have a bunch of kids running about, that changes the equation drastically. With kids around, the lawn gets used, so all my objections are irrelevant.
As soon as mud season is over, you can start. For a lawn, it's sufficient to take out the surface rocks and anything sticking up. The grass will hide a lot of stuff. This can be done for the most part with a metal rake, a shovel and a wheelbarrow. If you have a really large area you might want to rent a small tractor with a york rake or box scraper, but you probably have 6-8 weeks to get it done, so most of it can be done by hand up to a couple of acres. Do a little bit at a time until you get back in shape after the winter. After that, seed, rake and water, water and water. You will have to keep the area moist (no standing water, but no dust either) for about 2-4 weeks until the grass is established. A straw mulch helps to keep down evaporation from the soil. It will decompose in place so you don't have to remove it later. Let it grow fairly long before you start mowing it, and set the mower high for the first few mowings.
Good luck, and don't let the curmudgeons get you down. There's a bit of that in all of us anyway.
Tiffany Bastian wrote:

Military housing was rather strict as I recall as far as what you can get away with in "your" yard... Also, remember that when you move (and you WILL) the yard is one of the areas that are inspected and must pass before you are off the hook (if it don't, and you follow your orders - you will have the significant bill automatically deducted from your paycheck)... Hate to burst your bubble, but keep the future in mind
P.S. I retired after 20 years in the Air Force - maybe other services aren't quite as strict, but I very much doubt it..
--
Mikey Luvs Ya!!
http://personalpages.tds.net/~kyakmike /
Hello Everyone, I am new and from Connecticut, We just moved here a month ago. Into a new home we have no lawn or anything because the house was just renovated. We have some seriou seeding to do soon, we are trying ot figure out where we will garden etc... it is a lot of fun, we have such a large blank canvas. I am curious what you all know about lawns too, We have a some what rocky construction site are for a front yard. I know we need to get most the rocks out before we seed but any other good ideas? Also, we are trying to figure out what plants grow good in this climate since we just moved here. Thanks for all your help! Tiffany B
Thanks!
face="Bookman Old Style" color=#008000>...<BR>&gt; Hello Everyone,<BR>&gt; I am new and from Connecticut, We just moved here a month ago. Into a new<BR>&gt; home we have no lawn or anything because the house was just renovated. We<BR>&gt; have some seriou seeding to do soon, we are trying ot figure out where we<BR>&gt; will garden etc... it is a lot of fun, we have such a large blank canvas. I<BR>&gt; am curious what you all know about lawns too, We have a some what rocky<BR>&gt; construction site are for a front yard. I know we need to get most the rocks<BR>&gt; out before we seed but any other good ideas? Also, we are trying to figure<BR>&gt; out what plants grow good in this climate since we just moved here.<BR>&gt; Thanks for all your help!<BR>&gt; Tiffany B<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; ---<BR>&gt; Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.<BR>&gt; Checked by AVG anti-virus system (</FONT><A href="http://www.grisoft.com "><FONT face="Bookman Old Style" color=#008000>http://www.grisoft.com </FONT></A><FONT face="Bookman Old Style" color=#008000>).<BR>&gt; Version: 6.0.576 / Virus Database: 365 - Release Date: 2/9/2004<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML> ------=
The back, with sod: Just give it some time. The roots are all in the top layer. Give it some time to grow into your soil. Also, did they water before laying the sod? If they didn't, or you don't know, give it a deep watering (also allowing time for it to penetrate.) Make sure you get the water deep enough to go into your soil, rather than just in the sod.
The front: Definitely remove the rocks. Add some compost on top. rake it in a little. Broadcast the seed, cover with straw, keep it moist for about 2 weeks, and you should see some results.
Thanks, Not sure when they laid sod or how they did it bit it even has large gabs .. they didn't do a very good job but should I expect for free. The military does everything cheap. do you think aerating it would help as well? Tiffany B.
Is there a need to fertilize sod? I have never dealt with it before thanks.
face="Bookman Old Style" color=#008000>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face="Bookman Old Style" color=#008000>&gt; The back, with sod: Just give it some time. The roots are all in the top<BR>&gt; layer. Give it some time to grow into your soil. Also, did they water before<BR>&gt; laying the sod? If they didn't, or you don't know, give it a deep watering<BR>&gt; (also allowing time for it to penetrate.) Make sure you get the water deep<BR>&gt; enough to go into your soil, rather than just in the sod.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; The front: Definitely remove the rocks. Add some compost on top. rake it in<BR>&gt; a little. Broadcast the seed, cover with straw, keep it moist for about 2<BR>&gt; weeks, and you should see some results.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; </FONT></BODY></HTML>
------=

I've never heard of aerating sod. It should have had loose soil underneath, with plenty of room for air particles, so I wouldn't.

Fertilize sod, once it's established, just like any other grass. Don't fertilize until it's established, though, because the fertilizer doesn't actually help the roots as much as it makes the tops grow. Just water deeply and infrequently.
As for me, I don't use commercial fertilizers at all. I use a mulching mower to return nutrients to the lawn, and every once in a while, apply a layer of compost. Not so much to cover the tops of the grass, but enough to give it a little extra food. It eventually works its way down into the soil. Also, if you mow high, you should have less weeds, because the grass will block out the light.
I know a lot of people on this newsgroup are against growing a lawn, but I have kids, too. I want a safe place for them to play, so I grow grass.

If you tell me where you are in CT I will give you the phone number for the closest cooperative extension office to you.
Bee, I am in Groton what is a cooperateive Extension Office? Thanks Tiffany B

Cooperative Extension is an integral part of the land-grant college system, which grew out of the U.S. Congress' concern for the education of the average citizen in the Agricultural and Mechanical fields.
In 1862, Congress passed the MORRILL ACT, which provided for a university in every state that would educate citizens in the agricultural and mechanical fields. These colleges are known today as "land-grant universities."
Congress soon realized that to be effective, the educational function of land-grant universities must be supplemented with a research capability. Consequently, it passed the HATCH ACT in 1887. This act provided for the establishment of facilities where colleges could conduct research into agricultural, mechanical, and related problems faced by rural citizenry.
Finally, in order to spread the benefits of the land-grant universities throughout each state, Congress passed the SMITH LEVER ACT of 1914. This act provided for the establishment of Cooperative Extension. As a result of the Smith Lever Act, there are now Extension Offices in every state.
Bee, I hate to sound uneducated but what is the purpose of me calling them? Thanks Again, Tiffany B

They will provide you with information about what grows well here, how to do soil tests which are still only 5$, diagnose plant diseases and pests, provide free pamphlets, and in the spring they have master gardeners fielding telephones for peoples garden questions.
here is a link to the home and garden center
http://www.canr.uconn.edu/garden /

Why don't you reserve an area for planting trees for shade and landscape. I would suggest native deciduous trees and evergreens. Then beds for perennials and annuals. With that large yard, some portion might even be reserved for vegetables. Lawns are relatively high-maintenance and "unnatural" and I would not opt for one, unless your house (architecture) and family (children and dog?) really want one.