Hydroponic adventures with hot peppers

I'm fairly new to hydroponics, the learning curve for people who don't grow pot is rather steep!

I live in eastern Ontario, Canada and frost is a nightly event now. But let me go back to Spring.

According to my logs I started hot peppers from seed Apr 7 in the "one-inch" cubes. May 30 I transplanted them to the greenhouse, individually into 6 inch pots, filled with hydrocorn and ran drippers into them.

As spring and summer progressed a number of them died off from the heat. I added a fan to improve the air flow. The survivors remained stunted. Then in September as the temperatures cooled they started to grow quickly and fruit.

But no ripening.

I dawned on me a month ago that the hydroponic store sells two distinct formulae, the Grow and the Bloom. On my last visit I finally asked and discovered that I should have switched to Bloom once the blooms emerged (no directions on the containers of course!).

But I'm growing a lot of herbs and lettuce from the same reservoir and I don't want them to fruit, so I stuck with the Grow formula.

And the peppers continue to bloom and fruit and boy are they ever green!

A few weeks ago I added a construction heater to keep everything alive.

And finally today one of the dozens of peppers is getting some colour. I hope that I can keep the heat going long enough to get my crop harvested.

Clearly I'm going to need an outdoor situation for them next year. Plans afoot....

Reply to
Ron Hipfner

Ron Hipfner wrote:

Reply to
Dick Adams

I reccomend you a drip irrigation system. It's quite easier to install and control, and there are more accesories in the market. I can suggest you an on-line shop, in which I bought a few times:

Good luck with your garden!!!!

Reply to
lawnmower_man80