Hydrangea blooms

This year our hydrangeas were nice and bushy -- But no blooms.
Any suggestions for next year?
Thanks, Dave in the Ozarks
what type of hydrangeas do you have?
Dave

I don't know the varieties. One of them grows 4-5' tall and has variegated leaves. The last couple of years it had pink blossoms. The other one grows 2-3' tall and solid green leaves. Last year it had green blossoms. This year both of them had great looking foliage.
Dave ---------------------------- On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:42:54 GMT, "David J Bockman"

There can be a couple of reasons. One can be that a late frost killed the buds. Another can be if you've fertilized it excessively. Do either of those sound applicable?
steve
The over-fertilizing is a possibility.
Thanks, Dave
On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:59:01 -0600, "Steve Wolfe"

Applying great amounts of fertilizers to hydrangeas (and a lot of flowering plants) tends to promote foliage growth over blooms, but in order to keep the plant from producing *any* blooms. Here's an excerpt from http://www.recipegoldmine.com/gardengary/gg77.html with more common causes:
" Hydrangeas sometimes fail to bloom. Here are several reasons...
Frost damage to flower buds Pruning in late summer Too much shade Too much high-nitrogen fertilizer Plant is not old enough yet.
Hydrangeas form their flower buds in late summer for the following year, so pruning in late summer, fall and winter will remove potential flowers. Prune when the flower heads begin to fade. Snip back other shoots to encourage branching and fullness. "
steve
Throw some 16-16-16 on them or some acid food at em and water well. I have some 60 year old one's and can't kill em if I tried. Their like roses, they always come back. They should be shade about 1/2 the day.

opined:

http://www.agnr.umd.edu/users/cmrec/art4.htm
This site will tell you how to prune the different hydrangeas, why and when the different forms flower, and how not to remove the blooms by accident.
victoria