Hydrangea?

Just wondering how fast Hydrangea grow?

My son bought my wife a potted one foe mothers' day. It has 4 stalks and 4 large pom-poms in bloom. I have a rather large one already outside that's

4-5 ft. tall, 6 ft. across with dozens and dozens of stalks.

How soon, (years?) will it take to get as big as the large one outside?

Just want to plant it in a proper location.

Thanks...

Reply to
BE

Growth has so many factors: water, soil conditions, light, etc. To reach 6 feet across, I'd guess 3-5 years with good-growing conditions.

Reply to
Phisherman

Thanks, that's faster than I would have thought. I forgot to mention that the potted plant is 1.5 ft. tall. Can I reduce the size of the large Hydrangea by just taking a hedge trimmer to it? Is there a particular time of year that's best for trimming?

Thanks again...

Reply to
BE

If he bought it from a florist it will most likely not do well outdoors.

Reply to
Travis M.

Mine came from a florist and is doing exceptionally well after 6 years. It is a tropical type so I need to protect it during the (mild) winter season (in TN).

Reply to
Phisherman

Best time to trim is after it blooms. Use pruning shears. If you trim at other times you may cut off the next-year blooms!

Reply to
Phisherman