Hydrangea?

Just wondering how fast Hydrangea grow?
My son bought my wife a potted one foe mothers' day. It has 4 stalks and 4 large pom-poms in bloom. I have a rather large one already outside that's 4-5 ft. tall, 6 ft. across with dozens and dozens of stalks.
How soon, (years?) will it take to get as big as the large one outside?
Just want to plant it in a proper location.
Thanks...

Growth has so many factors: water, soil conditions, light, etc. To reach 6 feet across, I'd guess 3-5 years with good-growing conditions.
Thanks, that's faster than I would have thought. I forgot to mention that the potted plant is 1.5 ft. tall. Can I reduce the size of the large Hydrangea by just taking a hedge trimmer to it? Is there a particular time of year that's best for trimming?
Thanks again...

Best time to trim is after it blooms. Use pruning shears. If you trim at other times you may cut off the next-year blooms!

If he bought it from a florist it will most likely not do well outdoors.

USDA Zone 8
On Sat, 13 May 2006 07:39:22 GMT, "Travis M."

Mine came from a florist and is doing exceptionally well after 6 years. It is a tropical type so I need to protect it during the (mild) winter season (in TN).