Hydrangea

I haven't had much experience with Hydrangea, but I bought a big beautiful 1 gallon size plant at Lowe's 2 weeks ago. I've got it planted and it's thriving. My question is:
when I got it, the balls of blooms were standing straight up, but now they are branching outward and some are lying on ground level. Is this the way they are supposed to grow? I noticed at the nursery that all the others are doing the same thing. I know they eventually turn into a nice sized bush, so maybe this is a natural occurence?
Thanks:) Angie
Angie, The blooms of the Hydrangea are quite large. If the stems they are sitting on are not too strong they may bend down. Rain too, might make the blooms heavy, with the same result. We have several in our yard, and they get quite bushy. We live in Ontario, and they are just starting to mature. Later on in the season when they are in bloom, I usually end up supporting them. Anyway good luck ! It's a beautiful plant and they continue to bloom to well into fall. Consider the dried out flowers for indoor decor after the season is over. Ben.

1
are
so
Hi Ben, I am in Toronto and i was planning to get some. Do they need full sun? I have a Linden tree....could them be plant close to that tree....(around 3' from it)
Thanks
--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
No, Paulo, the ones we have are either in the shade, or mostly shade. One large one is located at the foot of a large old Butternut Tree. It thrives there. If you can help it, don't plant them in full sun. They also require good watering during the warm months ahead. The leaves will tell you : they will droop, so to speak, and it is time to water. Good luck ! Ben.

others
Thanks Ben!
--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
Ben, do you prune your hydrangeas in the spring or fall?
I have had one planted for several years that really hasn't produced, then I finally figured out that I had it in the wrong spot. I moved it to a nice shady spot under an apple tree and hope that it will do better now.
Lisa

sized
Lisa, by no means am I an expert but this is what I do each Spring. I only prune back the dead canes. I have heard that hydrangeas produce blooms on last years growth, so I don't touch any live canes at that time of year. Later on when blooms are out, and if needed, I prune lightly to shape. Hope it helps you. Good luck !

but
this
What kind of soil is better for them?
--
Paulo
"Ben Tuinman" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Mon, 24 May 2004 11:06:43 -0500, "junkyardcat"

I am finally now getting blooms on my resurected and salvaged Wal MArt Dumpster hydrangeas. They have some real nice size to them, but due to the shape they were in when I recovered them last year they had to be cut back pretty good, but at least this year they show promise. No clue as to color.
Was told by a nurseryman that if you add lime aorund them they will produce really vibrant colors, and its possible to make the colors change by adding different minerals. Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

1
are
so
I saw beautiful hydrangeas at the local garden center. While talking to the sales clerk about these, she said that in order to get the nice big colorful blooms, that I would probably need to add acidity to the soil. Have you had your soil tested? You may need more acid.
Brigitte