Hydrangas Won't Flower

Page 1 of 2
: 7bit
Can anyone suggest a reason why my hydrangas won't flower. They are growing very well, are tall and green. They are on a Northern exposure where they usually do best. I got a lot of flowers for the first few years, then almost nothing.
: 7bit
Can anyone suggest a reason my hydrangas won't flower? They are on a Northern exposure, and are tall and green. The first few years I got a lot of flowers. Since then, almost nothing.
The same thing happened to me but then I found out you are not supposed to cut backt the woody stems each year. Are you cutting back the woody stems at the end of the season or in the beginning of spring? If so don't. When the leaves fall off in the winter just let new leaves come out of the old stems in the spring and you will get flowers.
TFD
brsher wrote:

Spend some time at this site - lots of good info, including a section on proper pruning techniques. http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com
Doug Kanter wrote:

Please. No HTML especially in a non binary group.

USDA Zone 8

Sorry. OE "saw" html in the original message and responded accordingly. I thought it would convert to text when I posted it. As punishment, I'm going to deprive myself of coffee ice cream for a day.
Travis, you would rather copy and paste the url than just click on it. The whole Idea of posting an html link in this group is because its not a binary group. I say html away doug, especially if its harmelss.
Toad
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

If being able to click on links in news messages is important to someone, there are many news clients that upon seeing a link in a plain text message will make that link clickable. If not, cutting and pasting is not rocket science. Posting a pageful of html tags just to communicate a one line message is a waste, and will result in the message being ignored by people. An ignored message communicates nothing.
BTW... Doug, in OE, go to Tools, > Options > Send. You can uncheck the box for replying to messages in the format that they were sent. Many people get the default posting method at the bottom of that tab right, but they miss that checkbox in the middle of the page. Or if you don't want to uncheck it (because it'll also affect e-mail), pulling down the Format menu on the reply message allows you to remove the html, and post in plain text.
--
Warren H.

==========

<snip>
I'll be democratic and see if I get more than one other complaint in the next 30 days. If I do, I'll switch it.
Doug Kanter wrote:

I D I O T

USDA Zone 8
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

This link will work and this post is not in HTML. www.google.com Let us not forget our netiquette.

USDA Zone 8
Doug Kanter wrote:

You can set OE to reply to a HTML post in plain text.

USDA Zone 8

So far, you're the only one bothered by this, and I've been participating in newsgroups for quite a few years, including some which attract geeks for whom "anal retentive" is an understatement. Haven't heard a single complaint until yesterday. Let's wait and see if the comments pile up.

Wake up. That is not HTML, it is a URL. They are certainly appropriate in any group.
Stephen Henning wrote:

Yes. Posting a url is appropriate. Using a pageful of HTML to do it is not.
You may have seen an almost ordinary looking message (which is another reason the HTML was more pointless), but people who don't have HTML turned-on in their newsreaders (and they shouldn't have to) saw something like what's below. (I disabled some of the tag in a hope that you can see it, too.)
(!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> (HTML><HEAD> (META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> (META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2668" name=GENERATOR> (STYLE></STYLE> (/HEAD> (BODY bgColor=#ffffff> (DIV>(FONT face=Courier size=2>Spend some time at this site - lots of good info, including a section on proper pruning techniques.</FONT></DIV> (DIV>(FONT face=Courier size=2>(A href="http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com ">http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com </A></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML
Not only was it HTML, but it was overwrought HTML that resulted in something that when seen in an HTML-enabled newsreader looked not much different than plain text. The same actual result could have been done with one-tenth the mark-up code. But even plain text wouldn't have differed much except that there would have been line-breaks, which actually would have made it more readable!
--
Warren H.

==========

My newsreader doesn't have HTML and all I saw was a URL. No gibberish.
Stephen Henning wrote:

You may know Rhododendrons but you can't tell a HTML message when you see one. Idiot.

USDA Zone 8

When responding to your message, I clicked Format, Plain Text. Does this look like HTML?
Now, here's a link: www.llbean.com
Let me know if that link looks clickable to you.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Now it isn't. I replyed to your HTML message in plain text. The link is clickable.

USDA Zone 8

"Now it isn't...", or did you mean "No it isn't" ? My options say I'm sending all news messages in plain text. What exactly is your issue here, IDIOT?