Hummingbird Vine planting question

Hello
We got 3 hummingbird vines in the mail today and at the moment they are on the pretty small side. We plan on planting them in front of a chain link fence and since we are new to this we were wondering how far from the fence should we plant them. We do plan on having the vines on the fence but i wasnt sure how far to plant the vine near the fence. A few inches from the fence...a foot away...?
Thanks
Don W wrote:

quite a pest in certain (warm?) parts of the country.
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Such as?

Wow - where to start? Dutch honeysuckle (Lonicera pericylmenum, non-invasive) and L. sempervirens Clematis orientalis hardy fuchsias Cape fuchsia - Phygelius Ribes sanguineum and odoratum Leycesteria formosa Cotoneaster bullatus (tree form) ornamental salvias agastache crocosmia penstemon daphnes
I've also seen them feed at weigela, abelia, escallonia and at sarcococca, corylopsis, hellebores and heathers in winter.
pam - gardengal
says...

the Latin name. Nice red flowers all summer and the hummingbirds love it, but so do the aphids.
Mine covers about 12' of a chain link fence. Every three or four years I cut it back severely but it recovers in half a season or so. It took two seasons to get established, but it was in a 4" pot when I bought it :-).
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

I should of mentioned that I'm in zone seven just north of Philadelphia. Thanks, I'll try some of them. By the way, begonias work too.
StanB wrote:

If you have room for a tree the Hummers love my Embothrium coccineum aka Chilean Fire Tree.
http://www.heronswood.com/catalog/01160?FNc8dpaA ;;27
--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Interesting tree but here we hit zero every couple of years. Thanks for the suggestion.
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:41:57 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"

invasive! If you want honeysuckle, stick with the native varieties (check Wayside Gardens - they carry yellow and red varieties). They bloom well and the hummingbirds love them.

Fran, if you read my post closely, I said they are not invasive in OUR climate, meaning the PNW, where both the OP and I reside. We have lots of other invasive plants to contend with but honeysuckle is not one of them.
It is all very well and good and really quite noble to jump on the invasive plant bandwagon, but most folks do it without a complete understanding of what invasives are and how they may differ significantly from region to region. And in my position as a professional horticulturist certified by the state of Washington, I would never suggest or recommend growing a known invasive species.
pam - gardengal
says...

so I should know. I would, however, class it as vigorous.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?