Human Urine As A Source Of Nitrogen

The message from "Lelandite" contains these words:

Where I spot warning signs of poor hygeine standards (usually plenty of clues visible outside the kitchen) I *don't * go there. I've worked in commercial kitchens and food prep and have many friends in that business. Some set a high standard which puts many home cooks to shame, and I'm perfectly happy to eat from them.

I see many hygiene slips which make me cringe, in peoples' home kitchens and bathrooms.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough

Kinda hate to tell you, but you are breathing plant waste products right now: O2, and they breath our's: CO2.

Reply to
Billy

I'm not sure but I think I learned that small fact of life in the 2nd maybe

3rd grade. I would take issue about the by-products being waste.

But this topic has me all pedered out so I'm call it a day.

Donna in WA

Reply to
Lelandite

Sorry if I offended you, Janet. It's the fast food places that I was referring to and I should have made that point clear. And (while this is off point) that's where the low income people usually eat and why they're the ones hit first with ecoli etc. (being PC; can we even say the word "poor"?)

Anyway, glad to learn from one who has been there done that so thanks for the info, Janet.

Donna inWA

Reply to
Lelandite

Ecoli is a hazard when using feces that haven't been composted properly.

As long as there isn't any urinary tract infection, or a couple of other infections (e.g. hepatitis), urine is sterile. Remember that urine is filtered directly from your blood.

I've used urine for years, and never had a problem.

Even feces can be made safe. The only reason I don't do humanure composting is lack of sufficient space for a composting toilet setup inside my cramped apartment.

Reply to
Coffee's For Closers

Sorry, but there are deer ..where, Himalayas maybe?...that drink each other's pee. And I mean as they're urinating. That is because of the hallucinogenic effects of a mushroom they sometimes eat called Amanita muscaria. When processed through the kidneys all the 'bad' stuff is gone. Assuming you don't count the pee.

Reply to
Nelly Wensdow