Human Urine As A Source Of Nitrogen

Page 2 of 2
I think I'll just piss in my compost tumbler instead! It may act as a compost starter with all that nitrogen.......hehehehe! May work better than adding a can of beer. Perhaps I'll drink the can of beer and then piss in the tumbler, that sounds like a game plan to me :)
Rich
from White_Noise snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (EVP MAN) contains these words:

Pee is an excellent compost activator. Many gardeners do exactly that; we've done it for decades.
Janet

Kinda hate to tell you, but you are breathing plant waste products right now: O2, and they breath our's: CO2.

I'm not sure but I think I learned that small fact of life in the 2nd maybe 3rd grade. I would take issue about the by-products being waste.
But this topic has me all pedered out so I'm call it a day.
Donna in WA
Sorry, but there are deer ..where, Himalayas maybe?...that drink each other's pee. And I mean as they're urinating. That is because of the hallucinogenic effects of a mushroom they sometimes eat called Amanita muscaria. When processed through the kidneys all the 'bad' stuff is gone. Assuming you don't count the pee.

says...

Ecoli is a hazard when using feces that haven't been composted properly.
As long as there isn't any urinary tract infection, or a couple of other infections (e.g. hepatitis), urine is sterile. Remember that urine is filtered directly from your blood.
I've used urine for years, and never had a problem.
Even feces can be made safe. The only reason I don't do humanure composting is lack of sufficient space for a composting toilet setup inside my cramped apartment.
--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com /