How to use ChemPak formulations?

First year at growing vegetables. Don't know anything about previous history of the soil... it's clay/chalk.
Took it over last November and dug, dug, dug clearing as much weed as possible and left it rough till Spring this year . Raked it lots to remove stones and produce tilth. Now I have 5 beds to rotate in the order: Potatoes, then Onions/Leeks, then Legumes, then Brassicas, then Roots, then Potatoes again to restart cycle. Most crops are now in.
But not knowing soil history , how to feed plants?
I am thinking of applying ChemPak No 2 (high nitrogen) to everything until July and then switch to ChemPak No 8 (low nitrogen , high potassium/phosphorus) for rest of season except for Brassicas.
Legumes would get ChemPak No 8 throughout growing season as they dont need a lot of nitrogen.
Does this make sense?
Yours... Hairy Legs
(South East , UK)

Get/do a soil test, so you're not blindly adding expensive stuff you may not need.
On 18/05/09 15:17, Gary Woods wrote:

What/how to do soil test?

A well-stocked garden center should have soil test kits available. Some kits are only for testing pH, while others contain the necessary stuff for checking soil nutrients. If you don't have a retail outlet nearby which sells these kits, here's a google search with some U.K. sources:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=iwO&as_q=uk+soil+test+kit&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num &lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=.uk&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images
http://preview.tinyurl.com/pyz96d

You can get PH meters, but if you do, check it out with something like vinager, I have had 2 and both were wired in reverse.and showed vinegar as being very high PH, and not acid I phoned the firm about the first one so they sent me a replacement, and said keep the other. A bit of work with the saldering iron corrected the problem. Also have a look at http://www.kaysdiscountgarden.co.uk/33.html Cost less than Chempack and are very similar in composition and usage. Have you thought of foliar feed instead? http://www.travena.co.uk/pdf/BioMagic-FoliarFeed.pdf David Hill
On 18/05/09 20:37, Dave Hill wrote:

Are not the Chempak formulations soluble in water and can be applied as a foliar feed?
Hairy Legs wrote:

nitrogen. Now to cut unnecessary fertiliser he is using aerial mapping then a GPS controlled fertiliser applicator, should we club together and buy one? ;-)
--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
On 18/05/09 15:19, Broadback wrote:

Wow!!
I only got 150 sq metres. I just use watering can!!
Yours... Hairy Legs