How to trim Aptinia iceplant

Living in Southern California and fighting Aptinia iceplant.
We replaced our lawn and the weekly mowing with several large areas of aptinia. The trouble is, aptinia does not like to be confined. It grows rapidly and overflows the walks and borders, making for a sloppy appearance. The stuff grows about 12 inches tall.
What is the best power tool to trim iceplant? Hedge trimmer? Weed whacker? String edger? Metal blade edger?
Is anyone else fighting this battle? Any advice appreciated!
Walter The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net
Addendum: Aptinia is probably better known as Red Apple iceplant.
Walter The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

There are now several species, cultivars and hybrids of Aptenia now available, babe.
http://www.mediterraneangardensociety.org/plants/Aptenia.cordifolia.cfm

That's spelled Aptenia.
Just use a metal blade edger. The more violent devices will rip to shreds.
http://www.mediterraneangardensociety.org/plants/Aptenia.cordifolia.cfm

Thank you.