How to transplant roses

The old owners of my house planted four small rose bushes and we want to move them.

The bushes are only single stem, mabe two two stem, and about 3 feet high. How does somebody move these? How deep are the roots? what to feed them? and how much sun do they need.

Zone 5a/5b Southern Ontario Canuckistan

Reply to
Hench

Roses need FULL SUN. Since you a little further North than I, notice where= the sun hits during the day, esp. in winter when it is low in the sky. Do= n't plant there if you can help it.

Roses should move OK provided you prepare the future area carefully. =20

What is the soil like in their future home? Is it clay, loam, what? =20 Is it on a slope or on level ground? Does it collect standing water from rain?=20 Is there anything growing there now that you need to remove?=20 If so, do the outgoing plants have deep roots you need to dig out?

Re: Feeding, ***DO NOT fertilize immediately upon moving.*** Let them sett= le in for several months. You can help them get a start by use a transplan= t medium, available in any nursery or homeowner store. READ THE LABEL. Do = not overdose. Or see my home-made transplant mix below.

Do not move in the heat of the day. Very early morning, or evening.

Make a little dam around the drip line (outside extent of leaves) Water in= slowly and gently.

When I transplant bushes/shrubs/roses, I make a mix of worm castings (great= stuff!) home-made (or store) compost, and vermiculite or perlite. The lat= ter two, as you may know, are volcanic stuff which lightens the soil; makes= it less dense; permits oxygen to enter. READ THE LABELS.

Dig out roses to be moved deep and carefully so as not to cut roots too muc= h. A little won't hurt. Watering (not too much) in advance might make it e= asier IF ground is dry. Take as much root ball with you as possible (unles= s the soil in new area is radically different). =20

Bonne chance

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Preferably in winter, but now should be OK. Dig hole, dig up rose with as much soil as you can. Put rose in new hole, and fill in dirt. Fish emulsion, and water. Enjoy.

Reply to
Billy

Sorry, I made a terrible mistake in my reply.=20

I suggested that you not move the roses in the heat of the day; rather earl= y morning or evening. WRONG! I was confusing WATERING, which should be d= one early morning or evening. Do not water in the heat of the day; the sun= can burn through the water drops to the plant leaves.=20

What I meant is that TRANSPLANTING should ALWAYS be done in the late aftern= oon or early evening, so the poor plant has a chance to rest overnight befo= re the sun hits.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

More misinformation from our IDF representative. Plants will be less stressed if moved in the cool of the day, but water drops won't act like little magnifying glasses and burn holes in your leaves, or the plant's.

Reply to
Billy

Do not water in the

Get out, that isn't right.

The reason you don't water in the middle of the day is the Faeries need to have a shower sometimes and they won't drop their gear in full sun. If they do there is a risk that they get sunburned on their tiny ...s due to the hole in the ozone layer. If their ...s get sunburned they will glow in the dark and then you have to rub them with Extra Virgin olive oil . So be nice to the Little People and water in the evening, or keep the EVOO nearby and your hands warm.

David Hare-Scott

Oh, thank you David! That makes it perfectly clear, and ever so much more poetically

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson