How to Topdress a Lawn?

I see all kinds of recommendations for topdressing a lawn when aerating/seeding a lawn, but I haven't seen anyone explain the best way to do it. It would be nice if a broadcast spreader would do the job, but I just don't think that would work. How do you go about (a shovel and wheelbarrow?) and how much/how deep do you apply it? Thanks.

Reply to
Berob

I do it with a light weight shovel by moving side to side in a swath motion. It looks the same as if I were using a sythe.

It only needs to be 1/4 inch of compost as a top dress. Do that every year and your soil will greatly improve over time

Reply to
animaux

If you have fine, dry compost a spreader will work well. But, 'most everybody I know just takes a cartload to a spot on the lawn, dumps it, and rakes it out. Any amount at all will have some benefit; don't apply it over an inch deep, though, or you'll start smothering the grass.

Chris Owens

Reply to
Chris Owens

I saw a TV show called "Ask This Old House" a while ago about showing people how to spread compost onto a lawn right after aerating it. Basically it is like this:

- Put compost on a wheel cart.

- Use a deep shovel that is deep rather than wide.

- Put compost onto the shovel.

- If you are right handed, put the handle bar of the shovel into your left arm pit, and hold the shovel this way, and use your right hand to spread/boardcast the compost onto the lawn.

- At the end, use a rake to break down all the large pieces.

This works for me. But this can be time consuming and tiring though.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan