How to tell if a Dogwood is dead

I tried to transplant a 6' Dogwood over the winter. I got some of the near-surface feeder roots so it would have a chance.
(I am located near Raleigh NC)
The tree still has lots of green twigs. Only a few twigs and small limbs have turned brown.
But it has not leafed out. No sign of leafing out as of May.
I want to know if it is just dormant, rebuilding its roots, or is it dead.
I am a patient type, but my wife is nagging me to replace it. I might convince her to give it another year if I find some source of hope.
Should I give up on it or wait till next year?

Replace it.
On 3 May 2004 06:08:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Tom Adams) wrote:

For the wife's sake, give it up.

If its not barking, its a goner :)