How to start garden in wet soil?

I live in Oregon, and this time of year we seldom get more then 3 or 4 days at a time without rain (if that much). As a result my backyard is quite wet (mud), and the soil can't be easily worked with. Is there any way to actually work with the soil to get cold weather crops planted? I'm tempted to just dig a very shallow trench, plant my seeds, and cover it with mulch or something that doesn't turn to mud when it rains. Any ideas?

Reply to
Ook

Wet soil should not be worked. You can lay 2x12s and walk on these instead of walking on the wet ground. Your best bet is waiting for several days of dry weather, perhaps cover the area with a large tarp during the rainy days.

Reply to
Phisherman

If you don't care about turning the soil the method you are talking about works. I plant onions and carrots early in the spring in Ohio by covering the seed with planting mix or sand. I till in the fall for these crops as it's rarley dry enough in the spring.

Reply to
Butzmark

I use raised gardens to overcome that problem. The soil gets worked when I can and then I rake it into hills 12 inches high, as long as I need them, and 4 inches wide at the highest point. I lay my soaker hose on top and plant on both sides of the soaker hose and water when and as needed. This method also keeps potatoes from rotting from too much rain and makes weeds easier to handle.

Dwayne

Reply to
Dwayne

You might try mixing in coarse sand. This will promote drainage and carry away

excess water. To make this more effective, you may have to grade the land to encourage this drainage and provide a place for the runoff.

Sherw> I live in Oregon, and this time of year we seldom get more then 3 or 4 days

Reply to
sherwindu