How to sow seeds evenly

Hi, folks. I've got an envelope that is supposed to contain 6,000 Rudbeckia seeds. In other words...about a tablespoon.
I want to sow these more or less evenly over a plot that's roughly 8x10 feet. Is there a simple method of spreading them out evenly over a space that size -- that is, a simper method that making a zillion one eighth-inch deep holes and dropping seeds in one-by-one?
Mark
"Gulph" wrote in message

Aye Mark, there is a simpler method. Get yourself a couple pounds of very fine white sand and mix the seeds WELL with the sand, then broadcast or sift the sand/seed mix over the area. Don't obsess, naturalized rudbeckia grows in drifts and clumps anyway.
sue western Maine
Some folks mix small tiny seeds in sand but I found corn meal works good as the density of meal is lighter so the seeds mix in more readily and the mix stays more consistent. Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com Opinions expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Both great suggestions. Thanks. I think I'll go with the cornmeal, since there is a sack of it in the pantry that has gone untouched since we went on Atkins.
Mark
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Roy) wrote in message

Word of warning: do a test first on a wee patch of ground, using only a small quantity of seeds in the cornmeal. Squirrels and many birds dote on cornmeal. Keep a watch for frantic activity at the spot. If there is any, go the sand route.
Best, Tyra nNJ usa z7
"Tyra Trevellyn" wrote in message

small
cornmeal.
sand
Aye. ;)
Sue
Another method for sowing small seeds thinly is to mix them into Wall paper past (The old fashioned type that doesn't have fungicide in it), then put this mixture into a washing up liquid bottle , then all you have to do is to squeeze out a run of the mixture, this way the seeds will be spaced, and the paste breaks down very fast in the soil. You can also pre germinate the seed this way before planting.
--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Roy) wrote in message

Just wondering.. i thought cornmeal acted somewhat as a pre-emergent and also as a fungacide???? or is that just the corn gluten??? appreciate clarification as i have been using it (cornmeal) on my red tiped photenia area to help with the spots that get on the leaves it seems to be working. Thanks..LeeH
On 1 May 2004 16:53:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Gulph) wrote:

Neither "more or less evenly" nor making a zillion separate plantings will result in totally even distribution of plantlets, as they won't all come up. You don't want 6000 plants in an 8'x10' area anyhow -- sowing so close would have seedlings fighting for their lives from day one. The seeds are of reasonable size to scatter by hand. Rake the dirt in your plot to provide some nooks and cranies, scatter the seed carefully, and cover lightly.
Suggestions about mixing with sand or cornmeal are meant for making sure tiny, tiny seeds like carrot don't all end up in a clump, as they're rather difficult to control with fingers.

I saw some Martha Stewart brand seeds at K-mart that were embedded in a roll of tape. Just unroll and plant the tape. Might be old news, but I thought it was interesting. Quite a healthly markup price-wise as well.

Your comment about seeds embedded in a roll of tape reminded me of a process of making your own tapes for carrot seeds. I think radish seeds were also spaced along the line to be used as markers because they are fast to germinate. The tape making involved 2 ply toilet tissue being rolled out, misted with water and then folded in thirds over the centrally spaced seeds. Has anyone had success with this technique or other self-made seed tapes?
Regards.
On Sun, 02 May 2004 15:49:47 GMT, Salty Thumb

You can make (or have your kids make) your own seed tape. Here are 3 different recipes.
http://www.boldweb.com/greenweb/g_tape.htm http://doityourself.com/garden/makingseedtapes.htm http://www.organicgardening.com/feature/0,7518,s1-5-19-643,00.html
Frogleg wrote:

Here's another: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/gl_bulbs_seeds/article/0,1785,HGTV_3553_1378253,00.html
--
Warren H.

Thanks for the ideas (you too eclectic), I'll have to try some of those.
But I will feel funny putting the toilet paper down with the manure.
Afterthought: You'll probably have to thin the seedlings in any case. Rudbeckias are good-sized plants. 4 per square foot would be a very thick planting.