How to smooth the trunk of a windmill palm tree?

I have seen windmill palms where it looks like someone cut rings around the trunk to make the trunk look smooth.
How can I do this for my windmill palm?
Do I need a special tool?
http://www.treehelp.com/trees/palm/trees-species-palm-types-windmill.asp

Did you notice the words "Avoid damaging lower trunk and roots"??? Leave your tree alone.

And how many palm trees have you owned?

Hey...I'm just quoting what the web site said. Avoid damaging.....

No doubt, you've heard of RTFM, Read The F Manual. Welcome to it's cousin STFW, Search the F Web. It's amazing what you can find, when enter "smooth palm trunk" in Google. First link has detailed instructions on how to do it.
http://www.plantapalm.com/vpe/horticulture/vpe_horticulture1.htm
-S