How to recognize a weed

Gardening Rule: When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Heh...my dad says a weed is anything that grows where you don't want it. :-)

Yeah, but valuable plants that you have been trying to grow for years will also do that, too. ;)

: Gardening Rule: : When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a : valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a : valuable plant.
LOL!
I do so much weed pulling that I am developing a highly scientific measure of a weed's coefficient of resistance to total removal. It takes into account stem diameter and tensile strength, root length, diameter, and tensile strength, root type, and soil type, texture, and moisture content.
On one end of the scale, there's red clover which offers complete resistance to total removal because its stems are so weak it invariably sacrifices its top to save the roots. On the other end, there's Lamb's Quarters, a good weed for beginners since it offers a sastifying experience of total removal under a wide range of soil and moisture conditions for stem diameters under 3/4".
Among the most deeply rewarding moments for the expert weeder, I think, is having gauged the weeding conditions just right and bagging a mature Pokeweed with a taproot the size of a turnip in a single straight pull unassisted by tools. It's moments like this that remind us why we garden.
-- Karen
The Garden Gate http://garden-gate.prairienet.org =================================================================="If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ^and cats -- Cicero ==================================================================On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002

LOL! Oh, ain't it the truth!
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

A wise man.
Bill who live 10 mile's from Vineland N.J. aka the dandelion capitol of the world. I also eat chickweed, purslane, and a few other's whose name skips me at the moment.
--
Garden in Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade

Good for you Bill. I can recognize dandelion and chickweed as edible but that's about it. Wish I knew a heck of a lot more.
On 6/13/04 5:30 PM, in article cairhm$f8cr$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.infoave.net, "pixi"

good for....stuff. I hear it, I don't have to remember it...until today! Damn, I should pay more attention to all this stuff. Well, Pixi, find a certified organic farmer if they don't know they will know someone who does. If they don't email me...direct and I will put you in contact with those that know. "Wish I knew a heck of a lot more"...are you just wishing or 'do you really want to know?' There is a difference. Gary Fort Langley BC Canada
To reply please remove...yoursocks...
What's the secret to pulling a poke weed with any size root without tools?? If it's bigger than a seedling, part of the root at least, stays.
: What's the secret to pulling a poke weed with any size root without tools?? : If it's bigger than a seedling, part of the root at least, stays.
As I said, a rare and memorable occasion ;-) Mine came out after six inches of rain to my well-drained, to-die-for, six-foot deep silty loam soil.
-- Karen 'Above the glacier', on top of an end moraine, if not THE end moraine, in East Central Illinois.
The Garden Gate http://garden-gate.prairienet.org =================================================================="If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." ^and cats -- Cicero ==================================================================On the Web since 1994 Forbes Best of Web 2002
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic says...

The way I heard it: If it's hard to grow, it's a flower. If it's hard to kill, it's a weed.