How to protect my cherry tree from birds?

I have a nice cherry tree in my garden, it has very tasty cherries every year but... not for long. Every year thousand of birds eat them all. I erected a dud but this has no effect at all. Are there any reliable l ways to protect the cherries? Thank you.
--
CherryTree

CherryTree wrote:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?p444&cat=2,51555
On 4/29/13 2:57 PM, CherryTree wrote:

To protect my fruit from birds, I hang unwanted compact discs (CDs). I drill a small hole very near the edge of a disc and hang it kite twine from the tree or from nearby trees.
Eventually, the birds will become used to the sunlight flashing from the discs. Thus, I do not hang them until about two weeks before the fruit is ripe.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

That will accomplish exactly zero... the larger birds that will eat cherries, like crow/jays, will pay CDs no mind. I hang CDs in my windows to deter birds from trying to fly through but it's only about 50% effective. To protect fruit from birds only netting works fairly well... larger birds will still snatch fruit through the netting.
CherryTree wrote:

Cover with netting.

Other posters recommend netting. Seems to me you'd end up with a lot of birds caught in the netting.
My mom used cheesecloth, a very loosely woven fabric.
We had good cherry pies that year.
--
Dan Espen

Dan Espen wrote:

one year for the grape vine i used very fine mesh/netting (2mm holes) which worked well for the few days it was needed. also used that same mesh for strawberries to keep the hail from doing damage.
songbird
Dan Espen wrote:

You don't usually get trapped birds. This is the system used commercially including vineyards, without netting there would be no grape harvest round here. If you don't enclose the tree(s) fully you might get one or two birds that get underneath and then insist on flying upwards and so cannot get out but normally you can enclose it and avoid this. Even so it takes 5 minutes to free them.

I've had a bird get around the netting and trapped inside but not tangled up in it.
OTOH I've found snakes hopelessly tangled in the netting when they tried to crawl under it. If I had not freed them they would have died. Fortunately no poison snakes around here and one of the black snakes was about five feet long.
Many thanks to everyone replied. So it is white netting then. But is there a simple way of applying it on an 8 meter tall tree without a helicopter?
--
CherryTree

How do you plan to harvest the cherries up at 8M? Use the same technique to get the netting up there.
Otherwise, only net the parts of the tree that you can reach.
--
Dan Espen

CherryTree wrote:

One would think by the same method by which you harvest cherries 8 meters up. LOL
Commercial orchard growers prune/train trees to a height/configuration so that they can easily harvest fruit from an orchard ladder. http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Ladders_2 The homeowner typically grows semi-dwarf fruit trees, they'll grow to a 4 meter height but typically kept to a 3 meter height. Perhaps you should visit a cherry tree orchard and note their tree height and configuration.
http://i43.tinypic.com/jij5uq.jpg
After several attempts to fit the netting I can say with certainty that netting is not an option, the tree is too high. Are there any other reliable options?
--
CherryTree

CherryTree wrote:

before they are ripe, but the trees produce enough that the birds eat all they want, and there are more than enough left for us. I keep thinking it would be nice if I could train the birds to eat the high hanging fruit that I can't reach, and leave the low hanging fruit for me.

Net the part of the tree you can reach. You might use clothespins.
--
Dan Espen

writes:

"That year"?
We've been using netting on fruit trees for multiple years and it works well so long as the netting is white in colour.

White bird netting. Not black because birds have more difficulty seeing it and can get caught in it. white netting works well and we'v used the same netting year after year on our trees. This year we covered a pear, 3 apples, a plum and fig with it. We ahrvested bumper crops from all of the netted trees and no fruit at all from the trees that we didn't bother to net. It's a bit of a pain to put on or get off as it needs the careful use of soft headeed broom and ladders, but if you want fruit, that is what you have to do.
CherryTree;982044 Wrote: > I have a nice cherry tree in my garden, it has very tasty cherries every > year but... not for long. Every year thousand of birds eat them all. I > erected a dud but this has no effect at all. Are there any reliable l > ways to protect the cherries? Thank you.
You know this same happening with me...and i am really fade up for this.
--
devinnrock