How to prevent worms in apples

Page 2 of 2
g'day zootal,
do a google for natural controls of coddling moth (no expert but they may be the cause of teh worms?)
ther are ways of i've heard they wrap hassian type material around the base of the tree and the moth hides between the material and the trunk instead of going to ground, so daily you unwrap and collect the moth whatever?
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:37:13 -0700, "Zootal"
With peace and brightest of blessings,
len & bev
http://www.lensgarden.com.au /
Zootal wrote:

other similar measures impractical. If you are crazy about the taste of this apple, you can preserve it by grafting it to another tree or rootstock. What ever you do, if you replace this tree, do it with a dwarfed version that you can more easily handle. I have several dwarf apple trees and have been able to almost eliminate spraying by covering the fruit with ziplock bags as it emerges. I still have to do the dormant oil spray and possibly one insecticide spray before petal emergence. Covering all your apples may be impractical however. If you have an apple maggot or codling moth problem, I have found that Diazonon aka Imidan or Sevin works on them. Sticky traps will slow them down, but they are expensive. I make my own sticky traps with plastic balls coated with red foil and Tanglefoot. Stopping Apple Maggots and Codling Moths is very tricky as you have to spray in a short window when they emerge as flying adult insects. Commercial guys do fancy things with degree day calculations to figure when this happens and also carefully monitor traps to decide the best time to spray them. As home growers, we can only hit them very week or so to hopefully get them at the correct time. As flying adults, you should be able to knock them out with something like Sevin. Plum Curculio is another pest that attacks apples. The ONLY thing that will kill them is Diazonon.
So I recommend removing your old tree. Replace it with a dwarf tree. Cover the fruits you value with bags or these 'footsie' nylon socks. I think those are your best choices.
Sherwin
For 50 years I have just been eating the caterpillars in naturally grown apples, with no apparent ill effect.