How to Kill a Tree

There are a couple trees on unkept city property adjacent to my house. The city does not maintain this area at. A few years ago they ojected to me cutting down a few trees even though they don't mow or even pick up trash and litter in this area and the trees were trash trees. Before they found out that I had cut them down I had already replanted with Cherry tree and other attractive trees.
There are still a couple trees that are shading my backyard vineyard. I believe they are black locust. Is there an easy way to kill these trees? They are at least 40 feet tall and probably close to 8 to 10 inches in diameter. I would like to turn them into woodpeckers heaven - dead trees.
Paul E. Lehmann wrote:

city does not maintain this area at. A few years ago they ojected to me cutting down a few trees even though they don't mow or even pick up trash and litter in this area and the trees were trash trees. Before they found out that I had cut them down I had already replanted with Cherry tree and other attractive trees.

believe they are black locust. Is there an easy way to kill these trees? They are at least 40 feet tall and probably close to 8 to 10 inches in diameter. I would like to turn them into woodpeckers heaven - dead trees. If I were you I'd be careful about vandalizing trees on public property by hammering copper wire into them like nails or any other techniques.
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

http://forestry.about.com/od/silviculture/p/kill_tree_real.htm
But please be careful.
You can girdle the tree, that is, cut away the bark _and the brown stuff under it_ around the tree, about six inches worth, and it will die in a year or two.
Black Locust can heal, so monitor and cut it away again if necessary. Some people suggest girdling in two places to discourage it. If it puts out leaves next spring, it's time to girdle again.
A spoke shaver is handy for the purpose.
Black locust also will send up shoots all over the place for a while.
Wildlife likes the dead tree, by the way.
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com
There are a couple trees on unkept city property adjacent to my house. The city does not maintain this area at. A few years ago they ojected to me cutting down a few trees even though they don't mow or even pick up trash and litter in this area and the trees were trash trees. Before they found out that I had cut them down I had already replanted with Cherry tree and other attractive trees.
There are still a couple trees that are shading my backyard vineyard. I believe they are black locust. Is there an easy way to kill these trees? They are at least 40 feet tall and probably close to 8 to 10 inches in diameter. I would like to turn them into woodpeckers heaven - dead trees.
thought:

with any luck, this is what will happen.
Paul E. Lehmann wrote:

Take a 3/4 inch drill and drill a hole at a 45 degree angle down near the base. Fill it with salt and refill it when the salt is absorbed. Alternatively ring the bark, ie take a strip of bark off the tree about 1 inch wide all the way around. Do it low enough and the grass will hide it. May take awhile to die but it has never failed me when I've done either.
Black locust is considered a desirable wood for fence posts by some people in the NE US. My FIL in MD loved the stuff for that use.
George

One copper nail.
Bill
--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Drive a copper nail into the trunk, it will do in any tree in short

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 22:30:20 -0400 in

city does not maintain this area at. A few years ago they ojected to me cutting down a few trees even though they don't mow or even pick up trash and litter in this area and the trees were trash trees. Before they found out that I had cut them down I had already replanted with Cherry tree and other attractive trees.

believe they are black locust. Is there an easy way to kill these trees? They are at least 40 feet tall and probably close to 8 to 10 inches in diameter. I would like to turn them into woodpeckers heaven - dead trees. Gee, it's really hard to believe the city would object to you cutting down trees that don't belong to you...
They (The City) don't seem to object to old tires, used oil tanks, rear axles of trucks, old air conditioners, other trash of assorted flavours being placed on that same property that is overgrown with invasive weeds. They also don't object to the city draining the municipal pool on this piece of land and also routing street rainfall runoff here also. The original poster said he replanted with other trees. Since you do not know the particular situation, perhaps you should withhold judgement.
world with this thought:<BR><BR>&gt;There are a couple trees on unkept city property adjacent to my house.&nbsp; The city does not maintain this area at.&nbsp; A few years ago they ojected to me cutting down a few trees even though they don't mow or even pick up trash and litter in this area and the trees were trash trees.&nbsp; Before they found out that I had cut them down I had already replanted with Cherry tree and other attractive trees.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;There are still a couple trees that are shading my backyard vineyard.&nbsp; I believe they are black locust.&nbsp; Is there an easy way to kill these trees?&nbsp; They are at least 40 feet tall and probably close to 8 to 10 inches in diameter.&nbsp; I would like to turn them into woodpeckers heaven - dead trees.<BR><BR>Gee, it's really hard to believe the city would object to you cutting<BR>down trees that don't belong to you...</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=