How to keep raccoons away

Page 2 of 7
Doug Kanter wrote:

Galvanized wire screen that you buy in rolls. It's available with openings of various sizes. It'll be obvious which size to get.

It's not upsetting to the raccoons. :-)

In order to release an animal from a Havahart trap, your hands will be right ON the trap as you open the end. You didn't say whether you've seen raccoons on your property during daylight hours, but if you have, it's assumed they may be rabid. Animal control people may have equipment which allows them to keep a little more distance during the release.
Besides...if you have to "get weird" to keep from being bitten, it might mean hurting the animal.

Beats me. I lived in a semi-city neighborhood where we'd only see one or two per year. No idea what your area is like. Take a walk, look for other vegetable gardens, and knock on the owners' doors & ask them.

Too bad. It's fun to watch dogs crash into barberry bushes.

thanks
I have not seen them during daylight.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- @ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @ char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main()";main()         "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Doug Kanter wrote:

Animal control capturing a coon in the daytime is NOT going to release it. It will be destroyed....unless someone is exposed...then it will be destroyed and the head sent to the lab to test for rabies.
amy <ex-animal control>

You may speak for the animal control where you worked but you do not speak for all animal control agencies. Our local control will release the animal several miles from its capture point.
Dick

Richard Cline wrote:

the daytime?
amy

How do you know this - for sure? I'm not saying that this may not be the case somewhere but it sure would be the exception, plus being just plain stupid. Several miles from the capture point may be in my back yard and I (purely as an example) sure don't need any more coons who are into predation 'round these parts, plus the chance of importing various diseases such as scabies, parvo, rabies, etc. If you have a problem - deal with it - don't export it to another area for someone else to have to solve for you.
A retired game warden hunting buddy of mine used to get called out on road injured deer and every time there were yuppies and/or children involved he would tell them he was going to take the injured deer to the "deer hospital." Until they left the scene...
Skip
Skip & Christy Hensler THE ROCK GARDEN Newport, WA http://www.povn.com/rock /

Correct. I was mixing two ideas in too large of a bowl. :-)
forgot to say, trapping and releasing raccoons would be educational for my 3 year old son.

@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @
On 10 May 2004 14:34:32 GMT, Ignoramus15189

Why, to teach him how to make your problem someone else's? Whose problem do you intend to make these creatures? "Well, Junior, they're only a problem if they're in _our_ yard, so we'll take them 'out to the country' so someone else can deal with them" kind of thing, or what?

Maybe not in the way you intended. First of all check out your state and local regulations, it may be illegal to trap and release game animals. Second, even if it is legal, you are merely transferring your problem to another area for someone else to deal with, and can very well also transfer diseases such as parvo, rabies and scabies along with the coon. Third, in the long run it won't even matter 'cause a new population will move in to take over the void left by removing the current residents.
There are many (well, several anyway) ways to fence coons out of a garden; probably an electric offset wire around the bottom of the perimeter would be both the most animal and cost effective.
Check out both the web site and order their excellent fencing catalog for ideas.
http://www.premier1supplies.com/store/fencing.html
Skip
Skip & Christy Hensler THE ROCK GARDEN Newport, WA http://www.povn.com/rock /

To my knowlege, elect. fences are simply the only reliable technique. period. The only remotely secondary solution is to build a complete cage around things, and ... racoons are damn good at defeating stuff like that. Any garden/hardware store should have everything one needs.
Of course, this is just making the racoon someone else's problem... :-)
.max
--
the part of < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net>
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

I would not use an electric fence with a 3 year old kid in the house.

@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @

Gee - even the coons only touch it about once - most kids should be at least as smart....;-)
Bill Spohn wrote:

Agreed. I grew up with electric fences. Although we did have one ditz sister who could ALWAYS be convinced "the fence wasn't on but would she go check it for us?" :)
amy
wrote

You've been watching too many movies. Farmers use electric fences all the time for livestock large & small. You haven't seen many electrocuted cows or pigs, have you? An electric fence produces a nasty tingle. We're not talking about a prison.

an electric fence is a non starter, period.
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @

You're no fun.
that:

Given that the racoons are nocturnal you would only need to turn the fence on at night when presumably your 3yr old would be inside.
I can second the recommendation for Premier. Their customer reps are very helpful and knowledgable. I called when I was setting up fencing for our goats planning on getting a fancy combination of electric twine, HT wire, fiberglass line posts, metal corner t-posts and a solar-battery energizer. After asking what I wanted the fencing for their rep suggested electric netting, some plastic corner posts and an energizer with 9v alkaline battery. Saved me a bunch of money and I've been very happy with the system. Kevin Miller snipped-for-privacy@arg1cyhf.pbz (rot13) http://www.net1plus.com/users/miller9

You have just won a virtual cocktail for noticing something nobody else did. Place glass in CD-ROM drawer and hit: CTRL-M (for real beer - Molson) CTRL-B (for water - i.e.: Budweiser) CTRL-J (for Jack Daniels)
But what do I tell customer service if the cocktail holder breaks!?!? :)

http://www.net1plus.com/users/miller9