How to keep raccoons away

I have a fenced backyard where I have a vegetable garden that is somewhat ransacked by raccoons. (or some other animals).

It is fenced with a chain link fence, but they still sneak in. I am guessing that they get in between the fence and the ground. What are the practical ways of raccoon proofing the backyard. Maybe some wire stuff that can be added to the fence, or what? Can I simply buy a raccoon trap and transport a few away from my property?

Shooting them is not an option due to our city code.

Reply to
Ignoramus15189

Sharpen your spade and make a "slot" into the ground all along the bottom of the existing fence. Insert fence wire as deep as possible, and attach the top of the wire to the chain link fence. This still leaves the top of the fence vulnerable though, and raccoons can definitely climb.

A Havahart trap is a good idea, too, but you might want to have your local animal control people assist. Raccoons can get weird....

Another suggestion I've heard is to plant prickly stuff around the crops that interest the raccoon. Zucchini and other squashes have abrasive stems that some raccoons won't step through. And, you didn't mention how far your fence is from the garden. If it's possible to plant shrubs that'll end up being 3-4' in diameter, and still leave room for YOU to work, you might consider barberry. Nothing gets past that bush without severe lacerations. That's why birds hang out in them and laugh at the cats.

char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I am sorry for my stupid question, but what is fence wire?

that's upsetting that they can climb.

I can get weird too, I am not afraid of raccoons. I would just trap them and release then a few miles away. The issue is, are there so many local raccoons that trapping them is a waste of time? Do they migrate? For example, obviously, trapping birds is a waste of time since they propagate everywhere. But, if I could trap, say, 3-5 raccoons, would it actually help?

no space for that, unfortunately.

Ignoramus15189

forgot to say, trapping and releasing raccoons would be educational for my 3 year old son.

Ignoramus15189

Why, to teach him how to make your problem someone else's? Whose problem do you intend to make these creatures? "Well, Junior, they're only a problem if they're in _our_ yard, so we'll take them 'out to the country' so someone else can deal with them" kind of thing, or what?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

They live in trees. They are also very good at opening gates and latches. They can quickly learn to turn standard door handles. They are not too good at picking locks, but some primates can do that.

Some areas, like were I live, do not allow you to release a raccoon that you might trap. I also suggest lots of miles. However it will not really help. If they like the area and there is food, they or others will be back.

char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

"Ignoramus15189" wrote

Maybe not in the way you intended. First of all check out your state and local regulations, it may be illegal to trap and release game animals. Second, even if it is legal, you are merely transferring your problem to another area for someone else to deal with, and can very well also transfer diseases such as parvo, rabies and scabies along with the coon. Third, in the long run it won't even matter 'cause a new population will move in to take over the void left by removing the current residents.

There are many (well, several anyway) ways to fence coons out of a garden; probably an electric offset wire around the bottom of the perimeter would be both the most animal and cost effective.

Check out both the web site and order their excellent fencing catalog for ideas.

Skip & Christy Hensler THE ROCK GARDEN Newport, WA

The Rock Garden

Weird racoons may be displaying signs of rabies. Not an animal to be messed with when acting weird! I definitely wouldn't have a child anywhere around if I was trying to deal with a caged "weird" racoon.

Reply to
Marcy Hege

you should be afraid of them, you will never win in a tussle with one, trapping might be worthwhile but relocating them is illegal in many places.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included, reply via the newsgroups or ask for a valid email address.

Reply to
127.0.0.1

To my knowlege, elect. fences are simply the only reliable technique. period. The only remotely secondary solution is to build a complete cage around things, and ... racoons are damn good at defeating stuff like that. Any garden/hardware store should have everything one needs.

Of course, this is just making the racoon someone else's problem... :-)

.max

Reply to
Max

ahem.. [tap tap] THEY HAVE HANDS!!!

.max

Reply to
Max

Very well ... trees, downspouts, whatever. As already mentioned, they're good with their paws. Saw one open a foam cooler, and then the screw top on the jar of jelly he selected. And in areas where they're used to people, lights and/or radio don't work. What about keeping a dog in the fenced area at night?

Unless you live in a rabies-free area, it would be foolish not to be cautious. Even non-rabid raccoons can be fiesty if they're cornered. So if you're involving a child in this, be sure he understands that he should not approach one by himself.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on how many there are around. It would be bad form to release on private land without permission.

Reply to
Ann

Galvanized wire screen that you buy in rolls. It's available with openings of various sizes. It'll be obvious which size to get.

It's not upsetting to the raccoons. :-)

In order to release an animal from a Havahart trap, your hands will be right ON the trap as you open the end. You didn't say whether you've seen raccoons on your property during daylight hours, but if you have, it's assumed they may be rabid. Animal control people may have equipment which allows them to keep a little more distance during the release.

Besides...if you have to "get weird" to keep from being bitten, it might mean hurting the animal.

Beats me. I lived in a semi-city neighborhood where we'd only see one or two per year. No idea what your area is like. Take a walk, look for other vegetable gardens, and knock on the owners' doors & ask them.

lacerations.

Too bad. It's fun to watch dogs crash into barberry bushes.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Ignoramus15189

They also have a sense of humor. While camping in the Catskills many years ago, my wife & I watched as some knucklehead set up a screen house, and inside it, two sets of collapsible plastic shelves onto which he placed what appeared to be enough snacks for an army. Lots of chips, cookies, cereal, etc. The ranger warned the dummy about wildlife, but I guess he decided the ranger didn't know what he was talking about. Around 2:00 AM, there was lots of crashing & interesting animal sounds. Two raccoons had bitten through the screen and knocked over the shelves. When the guy got up the nerve to come out of his tent, the creatures were still inside having a feast, while they watched the guy run around outside the screen house yelling. The feast continued for about an hour until the ranger finally came over and urged them (with a stick) to go elsewhere. He then evicted the camper.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Almost never.

I managed a startled line drive to the head of one with a shovel when I came upon it unexpected - ex-coon.

But I agree, there are better things to do than wind up with a coon gnawing on your tender bits, and attacking them is not a great idea.

I find that an electric fence (a real cattle fence, not a mild little low voltage pet zapper) keeps them off the pear trees, and intend to use that around my pond this year as well.

Trapping and doing away with them is one approach, but I suspect that there is probably an inexhaustible supply of the little buggers and that you'd have new ones showing up as fast as you could get rid of the old ones.

Reply to
Bill Spohn

Is it an ego thing, or is there some other reason you don't want to enlist your local animal control people? The process you're describing might be more educational than you think, but not for the right reasons. Your son might learn how boring it is to sit around holding your dick in an emergency room for 3 hours while they take care of victims of car crashes & gunshots.

You didn't say how large your garden is, but if the 'coons are attacking just a few things, you could try sprinkling cayenne powder on the leaves and the soil around those plants. Works great for keeping cats out of the garden, or from scratching furniture.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Gee - even the coons only touch it about once - most kids should be at least as smart....;-)

Reply to
Bill Spohn

No! Bad idea! The dog will dig in the garden or crap all over it. Bad, bad, bad.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I have enough critters to take care of (a 3 yo kid and 2 chickens and a fishtank). A dog to keep the 'coons away is a hassle, and, I cannot have a dog live inside the house due to allergy.

I am sure I can come up with a safe release procedure, such as, I would be in the bed of the truck, and release the raccoon from a lowered trap, or whatever.

I would release them in a forest preserve.

Reply to
Ignoramus15189