How to keep dogs off my container plants??

Page 4 of 4

one of the neighbor's dogs, obviously.
lee <chickens really like corn flakes>
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

Try:
1 tbs cayenne pepper 1 tbs garlic powder 1-2 drops of liquid dish soap 2 cups water
Mix in spray bottle, spray around the area. Re-apply after rain.
OR
2 tsp hot sauce 2 crushed cloves 2 tsp liquid dish soap 3 cups water
Mix in spray bottle, spray around the area. Re-apply after rain.
I've used this method to keep dogs from "shittin'" on the lawn. It won't hurt a lawn and I suspect not your flowers.
Oren Wrote:

Hi Oren & others who have made some valid suggestions,
Thank you!!!!!
I am going to try the moth ball and this spray suggestion and see ho it goes. Trouble is where I live, its hot ... real hot .. so i have t water my plants twice a day so they won't wilt. will the moth ball hur the plants? also how safe is it in vege containers? right now i a growing varieties of lettuce, leafy veges (spinach) and beans, is i safe to keep moth ball in those containers?
i like using organic fertiliser, so some i mulch and i also use te leaves and grounded up egg shells, could they be attracting the dogs?
rob, you might have a point abt the dogs being bored. i train and sho dogs but recently i've been so busy between work, my toddler, m evening classes at the university and a bunch of house guests who sho sign of leaving that i have actually neglected my dogs quite a bit. s like someone here said, now that i've realised that they are bored maybe doing something abt that will help get them off my plants hmmm... !!
thanks again for your inputs everyone! really appreciate them! i a attaching a pic of my hanging flower pots that have escaped my dogs . lol, this is from last year tho, so now the total container count i 80+.
take care everyone & thanks again, arman
+------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: DSC005631.JPG |Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid (98 +-------------------------------------------------------------------
--
Arman

Moth balls have absolutely no business being in or near edible plants. Since you don't like my comments about dogs, you probably won't believe me, so you might want to call your local poison control center and ask them about it.
dont use moth balls anywhere outside. they are very very toxic. yes, the ground up egg shells would be doing it. my dogs eat raw eggs shell and all. dont use blood or bone meal either. and fish or seaweed might temp them too. you might want to try superslurp... those crystals that hold a lot of water so you dont have to water every day. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&q=puregold&qt_s=Group+lookup www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site.

you have a toddler? forget the mothballs!!! you shouldn't use them in near food anyway, but they're VERY toxic (and very attractive to toddlers). i strongly suspect doggy boredom, so try taking care of that first. if the plant pots are not very accessable to the child, you might try a solar powered electric fence around them. my son knew all about electric fences at 2, so if you can explain not touching the wires, your child should be ok. oh, you could possibly use an invisble fence to keep the dogs out too... i just use electric fence for my dogs because thier play area is fed off my pasture fencing. lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
enigma Wrote:

Hi lee,
thank you for the suggestion. my skin kid is now 1.5 yrs old and my fu kids are now 4 yrs old, so i guess the mothballs are out. where did get ur fence? how much did it cost to get it installed?
thanks again, arman
-- Arman

I take it you are growing plants, not veges. If this is so the moth balls won't be dangerous to you directly as you won't be eating the plants. I suggest putting them in a sock or something so they can be moved when you water and then placed back. Children are a worry yes, part of that depends on where the plants are and whether your child has access to the garden. If there is any doubt then you most likely won't want to use moth balls. I have seen camphor inpregnated saw dust and have used that around my garden. It breaks down with weathering, I have used that and would recommend it over moth balls.
rob

we installed our own fencing... we have electric fencing for our livestock pasture, so we just put in temporary fence poles (used for dividing pasture usually) & strung electric fence wire at 1', 2' & 4' (my dogs are big). then we ran a wire from the pasture fence to the dog fence to charge it. basic livestock fencing isn't too expensive. the chargers are the most expensive part (unless you get rolls of portable fence. that stuff is expensive!). chargers here costs around US$80-100, for under 5 miles. i think you might want to look for a local 'invisible fence' supplier. they install a radio fence line below ground & the dogs wear a collar with a transponder. if they get too close to the buried line, they get a shock. the advantage to that over electric fence is the child won't accidentally get shocked by touching the fence. lee -- war is peace freedom is slavery ignorance is strength 1984-George Orwell

I feel your pain... I got a new six pound little yorkie for Christmas. This cute yorkie in three months, has dumped two house plants and scattered them all over the living room carpet. Chewed the bark off some of my outside rose bushes.
I have tried to doggie proof my home by putting the plants on higher tables, making it difficult for this little yorkie (half dog, half cat and half fox) to be so destructive.
I have seen a product called "Scat Mat" which is like barbed wire that is made with plastic instead of metal at http://www.gardeners.com I have not purchased it yet and I do not know if it works.
I have also found an excellent dog training book called, "Good Owners, Great Dogs by Brian Kilcommons". A very useful book!
I hope this response helps :) Dan............. ==================================================Do not respond by email, I hope it doesn't work :)
--
No email or junk mail please. The address above should not work (I hope).

my comments are not aimed at you, but rather at the dog haters so please don't take offence. You talk about dog proofing your house. That to me seems a sensible option as a dog owner until the mutt learns the house rules.
Is this not something we do as parents, child proof our house? Do we style our environment to safe guard it (and our possessions) from small children roaming or do we simply say 'Johnny is a naughty little shit because he will piss his pants, crap in the corner, get into the cupboards and maybe swallow some poison' and turn into a kid hater.
rob
I look for used dogs, around age 2 is good. they are thru all the chewing and destruction by that time. their size, temperament, personality are all pretty well set... give needy dogs a good home, and most of them are neutered already. Ingrid