How to keep dogs off my container plants??

go
for
drive
if
and
if
appearances
Doug, rest assured I understand private property. I also work to develop relations with neighbours. Walking the mutts and having a yack to the community is a good way of developing a neighbourhood network. I do not fixate on it however like say, some of the libertarian nutters who take private property to an extreme and start moaning about 'all taxation being theft' etc. Those f wits are so out of touch with reality they need to be committed. I do however accord peoples home and gardens the same respect I would expect of others. In my view, neighbourhoods, communities and societies are based on reciprocal arrangements and the building of social capital and interdependancies. Slavish adherence to individualism destroys that. I have found that simple thigs, like giving away summer plums to neighbours or grapes when in season, creates relationships over time. Things my grand parents and parents did/do. Something younger generations (mine and below) seem to have lost a command of in some respects.
rob
rob

Reciprocal arrangements - I like that! Here's one: When dog owners license their little pets, they should be required to provide a DNA sample from the dog, and depost $1000.00 into an escrow account which we normal people can draw on when we need to have our carpets cleaned or replaced because your beasts crapped on our lawns. Now we're talking personal responsibility!

Don't people take personal responsibility for protecting their own carpets by checking their own shoes when they come in from the garden (for mud, grass, water or oil, as well as dog dirt). ?
Janet
contains these words:

When I come home from "the outside world", of course I check my shoes, or more likely, remove them. On my own property, there is never spilled oil. If I'm gardening and it's muddy, I adjust my behavior. That's MY choice.
Janet, you're a smart lady. Here's a statement:
"I want to go outside at midnight, wander around my yard, look at the stars, and see if the moonflowers have opened".
Please tell me what I said in that sentence. It's an exercise of sorts.
contains

you know, Doug, there are a large variety of fences available that would solve your neigbor dog issues. if you can't simply ask your neighbors nicely to keep thier dogs off the lawn and/or clean up after them, then the next logical step is to prevent the dogs from getting access to the lawn to start with... a fence. doesn't have to be a huge hulking 6' barracade (although that might suit you ;) ). most city dogs aren't very big & a 3 foot picket fence would be sufficient physical barrier without making you appear anti-social. plus it gives you a nice background to plant climbing roses & clematis on... i dunno what area of Rochester you live in though... i was from Irondequoit, with pretty big yards (to a 4 year old anyway), but some neighborhoods have pretty tiny yards (like my MIL on Culver... well, *i* think her yard is tiny but i'm on 62 acres, so bias is present. anyway, wouldn't it easier on you to find a solution than to let the inconsiderate idiots eat at you like they seem to? i mean, i have 2 dogs, BIG dogs (because what's the point in owning a dog too small to see?) & even though i'm in a rural area, i do not let my dogs leave droppings where ever. that's just wrong. lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

well, yes, i understood that. i've seen very few strays wandering around there when i visit. i understand it tends to cost the owner a chunk of change to retrieve Fido from Lollypop Farm. however...

are your easements, in fact, 8 feet? it's possible they're as narrow as 4 feet. you are however, correct. they are utility easements, not public areas. anyway, i'm wondering about the width of the easement & the actual laws about not fencing it, because there are homes with fences quite close to the sidewalks (or brick walls even). as long as the utilities have access to thier ROW, they tend not to be concerned about fences (although one can't expect them to not damage part of one if they have to dig, i think). i know i have an electric ROW through my pasture, which is, obviously, fenced. the crew checks with me before doing linework if possible, but it *is* thier ROW... i expect they're trained to deal with livestock underfoot... at least they did pretty good when those lines came down during Wilma last fall (they even fixed my fence they had to take down temporarily).

well, no, you shouldn't, but if asking nicely isn't getting them to restrain themselves or thier dogs, it seems blocking them is mentally healthier than simply fuming... of course, you have come up with some pretty creative dog doom scenarios, so maybe you actually enjoy that to some extent ;) maybe your problem is more common than you think? it does seem to me than most front yards there are just boring lawn, with a token flowering dogwood or crabapple and all the "nice" gardening is done out back of the house... hmmmm. lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

My garden is nationwide. It's everywhere.
Anyway...I may have just solved the problem. On our police force of 30-ish officers, there is just one who thinks creatively, and seems to be as much a scholar of the law as the town justice. She just stopped by, listened, and explained that it's not necessary to have signs posted in order to charge someone with trespassing. The alternative is a verbal request which is ignored. She said she'd be delighted (her word) to present a low life with a summons, meet them in court, and watch as they try to tell a judge that they are somehow above the law because they have a dog.

but not everyone has the dogowner problem (it really isn't a dog problem, it's owners that don't bother to train Fido to do his business in one corner of *thier* yard *before* embarking on exercise around the neighborhood). dogs *can* be trained to eliminate on command... personally, i'll settle for picking a spot & making them use that *one* area, but that's me.

that sounds somewhat promising. how much will it cost you though? sounds like a small claim civil matter? (OTOH, my one big court case was suing for false advertising on a VW Bug i bought in the late 70s. it was sold as 'in great, inspectable condition'. it had gaping holes in the heater boxes & floor (under the mat). i asked for my money back when it failed inspection, he said no. <shrug> his sole defense when it made it to court was he was ex-Navy, as was the judge. fortunately the judge found that as irrelevent as i did. i got my money, my court costs *and* the car, which i sold to a body shop for more than i paid...) so, maybe it'll work for you. lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

Small claims court costs a few bucks, but there are no monetary claims being made here. There's the dog owner, me, and a police officer.
On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 16:45:56 +0000 (UTC), enigma plucked a feather from Fawkes, dipped it into the ink well and then scribed:

I have dogs as do many people in our community and we don't appear to be having as many problems as has been reported here. Local Councils in most of our suburban areas provide off-lead areas where dog owners can exercise their dogs. If dogs are exercised outside of these areas then dogs must be restrained by a leash. At all times dog owners are expected to pick up after their dogs and if they fail to do so they risk being prosecuted.
--
Regards Erik Vastmasd

contains

Here, the risk of prosecution is minimal. But really, this discussion is about people who have been politely told to do it elsewhere, even if they DO plan on cleaning it up, and they have refused to obey. Civil trespass, in other words.

baffles
or
that
problems.
Doug, I will be honest but I am not doing so to antagonise you or overly antagonise you, I think you need to chill out a little, smoke some dope or whatever and not fixate so much on dog shit. I have clearly stated my approach to dog ownership and dog walking, it is a responsable approach. Other dog owners I know have the same standards, they are reasonable people. If you apply a test of reasonableness to my approach to walking mutts I think it will hold up well.
Expecting people to pay $1,000 into an account for your carpets clearly is not reasonable. Either you are taking the piss or you are serious. If the former, I give you marks for cheekiness, if the latter then you fail the test of reasonableness. The state of your carpets are your responsibility. You can remove your shoes, you can buy a mat. You don't blame anyone else for your failure to check what you tramp in. Likewise, if you are clumsy enough to spill wine on your carpet you don't blame the maker of the glass for it being smooth or having a slender stem etc. Your choice, your responsibility. If my dog did, for some reason, crap on someones lawn I would take responsibility to remove it. My responsibility. Responsibilities, yours and mine.
Reasonable dog owners keep their dogs off peoples property when walking just as responsible child owners keep their children out of other peoples gardens when walking. I don't know what it is about your situation Doug but my neighbourhood does not have the problem you describe of people walking their dogs on to your front lawn to crap. Dogs certainly crap on the grass verge outside my house and my dogs do outside other peoples. The shit, of course, gets picked up. However, and an important matter here, you or I or anyone else has no right (none whatsoever) to instruct someone not to allow their dog to shit on the grass verge. We can tell them to pick up the shit however. Just as you or I have no ability to tell a parent what their child can or can't do when walking along the footpath.
Hope I have outlined that clearly for you.
rob

The bottom line, really, is that when I go out at night to look at the stars, that's what I want to do. I don't want to have to inspect the ground with a flashlight. I want to look up. The statement "I want to look at the stars" cannot be interpreted to mean "I want to spend 20 minutes scraping dog shit off my shoes".

But to protect your carpets , all you need do is slip off your shoes at the door. That's the bottom line.
Janet.
contains these words:

Janet, I think you would agree that some people have eyes, but do not see, and ears, but do not listen, right? Humor me for the moment and answer this question.

attached.
construction
unprotected.
me
or
is
the
responsibility.
else
glass
verge
anyone
their
ground
Doug, it may be the case that you want to go outside and look at the stars without stepping in dog shit. The situationI have outlined above solves that problem does it not.
rob

I think we're done here.
who pissed in your corn flakes this morning????

Who are you asking? You edited away any trace of previous text. :)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

Probably a dog.....