How to keep dogs off my container plants??

Page 2 of 4

You have an animal whose way of living involves mischief and destruction if not watched constantly. You stated this yourself, although you don't like it being stated a different way. Don't complain when the animal does exactly what it's expected to do. This is like complaining that your toaster makes your bread a darker color. It's what toasters do.
Hey guys don't waste energy discussing dogs with Doug: he doesnt' like dogs; he's very vocal about it....... Period.
That's OK though, we love him anyway!
Emilie NorCal

It's a waste of energy because I'm totally correct. I'm correct because I'm good at compartmentalizing, which keeps me from being swayed by the fact that some dogs are actually cute. This keeps my observations pure.

if
it
which is something dog owners take into account when owning them. Kids destroy things and cost a shit load of money and still destroy things as they get older (like cars, nights sleep and bank balances) but we still have them as well.
rob

Yeah, but as the years pass by, most kids become adults. Dogs, on the other hand, are just as disgusting and destructive regardless of their age.
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:30:30 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

And (many) adults are not disgusting and destructive?
Persephone

destruction
like
exactly
other
no, both my dogs have grown more sedate with age. Even hyper active puppy has moderated. She may still be bouncy but is knows the limits now. Older lazy mutt was lazy as a pup but gets lazier with age.
As it is, some destructive kids grow into even more vile adults. We have things called prisons for them.
rob

i realize your neighbors are idiots & have badly trained dogs, but not all, or even most, dogs are like that. really. i'm NOT a dog person, but 99% of problem dogs are stupid owners... not only that, but most of those problem dogs could fairly easily be retrained to be good dogs if thier owners cared. i have neighbors with barky dogs (fortunately they're 1/4 mile away). i *did* have a newbie ex-city neighbor who let his dog roam, but the application of a $500 fine stopped that pretty quick...(or said dog was about to meet my .22). the problem is stupid humans, not the dogs. lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery

Well, that's mostly correct. Too many owners have those stupid extendable leash things, and let their dogs run 30 feet into other peoples' property, which often means "right in the flower beds". I ask them politely to not let their dogs stop in my yard in the future, and they say "Well...I'm gonna clean it up". Ummm...no. The dog just pissed on my flower bed, and I'm 2 minutes away from wanting to work with my hands in that very spot. And, even if they clean up the crap, the scent remains and attracts stray dogs, something I've observed for over 25 years. So, the only acceptable response, when I tell them to do it elsewhere, is "Yes. OK." But, as I've mentioned elsewhere, dogs train humans to do what's convenient, not what's considerate, intelligent and legal.

let
wear gloves, end of problem.
And, even

response,
like wearing gardening gloves
rob

You said I should wear gloves. Do you understand that by saying that, you've stepped into a logical and legal quagmire, and that a judge would lead your around his/her courtroom by the nose until you confessed to being silly? Here's what the judge would probably ask you to think about. You notice some noise outside your house. You step outside and see someone spray painting words on your house in day-glo orange. While your wife's calling the cops, you restrain the guy and ask him what the hell he thinks he's doing. He says "Wear a blindfold, or stay inside and don't look".
When the police arrive, what would you expect them to do? How would you expect all of it to proceed, from start to finish? Most important, which basic law was broken when the person spray painted your house? Hint: The law is basically the same everywhere in the United States, Canada, and most of Europe.

extendable
not
gonna
2
you've
your
some
says
law
major problem in your analogy, spray painting property (public or private) is deemed a crime. A dog pissing in your garden is not. Not picking up dog crap in a public place is punishable by a local body fine. No local body has yet figured out how to make a dog owner pick up dog piss.
Far easier for them to insist people who have problems with dog piss wear gardening gloves I would imagine.
On the matter of urine Doug, where does your own urine go? Or your pooh? Do you dispose of it on your own property or is it pumped to a municipal waste treatment facility? What potential harm is your own crap doing to water ways, local and global? Can I insist you only dump in your own back yard?
rob

You're making this too complicated. If a homeowner tells you to take your dog elsewhere, you have no choice but to obey. Otherwise, you've committed civil trespass. That's illegal, and you can be arrested for it. The person spray painting your house has committed the same crime, along with one or two others.
As far as where my excrement goes, that's a silly question. I don't do it in places where I need to work with my hands. If you think it's cute to let your dog piss where someone needs to work, why not let your animal piss on your kitchen counters, your remote controls, your ironing board, and your steering wheel?

I'm
dogs,
silly?
painting
which
The
private)
dog
wear
yard?
When I walk my dogs I exercise control to ensure they piss in appropriate places. If the mutt wanders onto someones property I go and retrieve it. I don't make it a habit Doug of encouraging my mutts to piss in neighbours gardens. Most all dog owners I know exercise the same approach. I doubt the police will be too concerned with my walking on to someones property to retrieve my dog.

in
and that is a highly subjective measure Doug, 'where someone needs to work', and requires a degree of omnipotence. I am not always able to forsee where a person may want to work when walking my dogs. Clearly I do not expect anyone to want to work on the tree in the next 5 minutes or a bushy clump of weeds along the front wall of their section. Whilst efforts are made to ensure dogs piss in areas that will not cause a problem, on the odd occasion they piss in someones garden that someone then wants to weed, a philosophical approach by the gsrdener is by far the best approach. Garden gloves are very simple things to use.
rob

If a property owner tells you not to enter, you have no choice but to comply. Your opinion is of no consequence.

You're in no position to assume ANYTHING about another person's property. If this is not true, then, if I want to apply sealer to my driveway on a nice warm day, it'll be OK with you if I park my car in YOUR driveway, blocking in your cars for the 48 hours it takes for my driveway to be ready for use again. Clearly, I do not expect anyone in your house to want to drive anywhere in the next 48 hours.

Garden gloves covered in piss are not my idea of a good time. However, I understand that some people get sort of a sick thrill out of playing with human waste. It's a treatable condition.
Mind if I ask how old you are?
says...

<snip>
<snip>
You object to wearing gloves while gardening to keep from getting dog urine on your hands, yet you willingly put your hands into living soil that has an untold number of microbes, bacteria, worms, insects, crustaceans, etc., all excreting their waste byproducts exactly where your working.
Things that make you go 'Hmmmm'.
        Bill -- Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

your
or
appropriate
not my point, not the point I was making

it
let
where
If
again, not my point.

they
35

Two "not my points" in a row. How convenient. What *IS* your point?

Thank you.

if my mutt strayed into someones garden I would go and retrieve him. If the home owner was home I would asked their permission. If they asked me to go I would but would expect them to deal with the matter of mutt on property and do so humanely without harm to dog else they would meet my baseball bat. Ie, I respect peoples right to protect their property and who comes on to their property.

property.
see above.

yes, it is convenient. I simply walk onto the property and get dog and if owners are home, tell them what I am doing there, what I intend to do and check they are ok with that. If they ask me to leave I do so. Very convenient and simple to do. Much the same I suppose as you would react if a Jehovahs Witness or Mormon came knocking on your door.

Good. I just wanted to be sure you understood the concept of private property, the violation of which generates almost as many court appearances as do speeding tickets.