How to keep dogs off my container plants??

Page 1 of 4
I have had moderate amount of success with my potted garden but now m
dogs have gone and dug them up. i've managed to salvage about 6 of the but the casualties of war ran up quite high this time. 6 broken pots an 20 dead plants later, i've resorted to tie-ins and crating but i woul love any idea that would make my potted plants unappetising an unappealing to my dogs.
i've been toying with the idea of burying barb wires around the oute perimeter of my pots. would that help? has anyone tried this before?
any ideas are most welcome. i love my dogs and i love my flowerin plants, so i would like to find a solution that allows them to co-exis peacefully.
thank you all, arman
-- Arman
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 05:35:26 +0000, Arman

Coffee grounds? Most pets don't like the smell.
You could ask the folks at your local Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf or Starbucks to save you discarded grounds - give them a container, if they prefer not to put in plastic bags.
ISTR that coffee grounds are good for plants, as well. T/F?
Persephone
<Persephone> wrote in message wrote:

how about fringing the garden with sacrifical thornier or bushier plants, thereby placing a barrier between the dog and desired plants? If the mut does want to go digging it will first attack the plants which will cause most pain and likely stop in time. This depends on where you place the garden, how spaced it is, how big the dog etc etc.
Also, have you provided a different place for your dog to dig. It may be that he/she loves to dig and would leave thegarden alone if he/she had their own digging patch. It may not work but is perhaps worth a try. When we moved into our current place there were no gardens for the cats to crap in so they used the lawn(killing it) or flower pots. When I put in some gardens they started using those.
Camphour (I am told) is supposed to be a deterrant to dogs and cats. Moth balls, perhaps in an old sock, may do the trick. It is possible to buy camphour mixed into saw dust that can be spread around and supposedly break the cycle of bog and digging.
rob

Bad idea. That's like giving your dog an old shoe to chew on and then wonder why you come home to all your new shoes chewed up. MOST dogs don't understand that you can dig up anything 'here' but don't dig 'there'. You need to teach it to not dig, period. Best way is to break the dog of digging OR you have chosen a breed that digs not matter what because the ancestors have spent the past 400 years or more digging up rodents and other burrowing creatures. In that case........get used to the digging.
Val

yes, you may be very correct. I windered whether it was a symptom of being bored perhaps. Dogs need stimulation and the digging may be a reaction to lack of activities. Obviously having their own sand pit isn't a good substitution if you are trying to wean them off digging.
rob
that is what the dog whisperer says.... dogs need an hour walk per day. just letting them out into the back yard doesnt do it for them. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&q=puregold&qt_s=Group+lookup www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site.

maybe try setting aside a patch for the dog and start of burying the odd bon e or dog biscuit just below the soil. Provided the dog doesn't mind the taste of a little earth it will develop that patch, digging and something nice to eat. Doggy may decide bones are better than plants.
rob
Put a fence around the garden, solar-powered electric is easy to install and works well.
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 05:35:26 +0000, Arman

sigh. it is a training thing. put a leash on them. walk them up to the plant, point to it, yell no and haul them away. do this about 10 times and they should start putting the brakes on as you start to haul them up to the pots. if this doesnt work then put a bit of bitter apple in a sprayer, or, get the bitter apple spray and hit them with that. soon they form a negative link with approaching the pots. dont put fertilizer on top of the dirt. also mulch the pots and spray with bitter apple. I had a dog got into and mostly ate bone meal. blood meal would also attract them. OTOH, I dont leave my dogs out alone in our very fenced in and private yard because I dont want them thinking up mischief or being stolen. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&q=puregold&qt_s=Group+lookup www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site.
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.xx.com wrote:

This is not good, teaching them it's bad to follow your lead. Try mouse traps, immediate and virtually harmless reinforcement.
nahhh... it doesnt work that way. I also try dragging them out of the house by their leash to teach em not to cross the threshold. when I say "heeL" they fall right in next to me and they are always a good dog. and I drag them but never say their name. Ingrid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at http://weloveteaching.com/puregold / sign up: http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?hl=en&q=puregold&qt_s=Group+lookup www.drsolo.com Solve the problem, dont waste energy finding who's to blame ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold website. I do not run nor receive any money from the ads at the old Puregold site.

A short list of living things were complete mistakes. Dogs, mosquitoes and viruses. You're wondering how to make your dog behave acceptably? You've got to be kidding. Do the world a favor and slit it throat.
Doug Kanter wrote:

add trolls to the list
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

snipped-for-privacy@swbell.not says...

Trolls are better fed into a wood chipper.
Slowly.
        Bill -- Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

This is not a troll. You've been trained by your dog. With help, you can get your mind back. It'll be a long road, though. Good luck.
Doug Kanter wrote:

Don't you feel suggesting someone slit their dog's throat seemed harsh? I apologize for the troll remark if I misunderstood. No question folks sometimes do get trained by their dogs, ats and other pet's behaviors. Once you realize what the animal's motivations are, you have half the battle won.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

No, not harsh at all. Like child molesters, dogs have no place in a polite society. Perhaps they were designed to live in packs, in the woods, and clean up rotting dead animal flesh, much like maggots. But, they don't belong anywhere near human populations.

Apology accepted.

All animals have characteristics which are unchangeable. For instance, if you step into a tiger's cage, it is assumed that you want to die, because the vast majority of the time, a tiger will kill you if you stop by for a visit. Dogs are the same way. You can assume certain things about them. Make a list of 10 possible things an unattended dog might do, and if 9 of those things are stupid, destructive or annoying, you can bet a year's pay that the dog will choose one or more of those 9 things 100% of the time. The only acceptable thing it might do is sleep. The other 9 include such delights as crapping on the rug, crapping specifically where innocent people need to walk, barking until the police arrive, biting someone, chewing furniture, wrapping their leashes around trees until they're choking (a good thing, actually, but still stupid), digging in neighbors' gardens.
Doug Kanter wrote:

the 'cost/benefit' ratio of keeping 'domesticated' animals (which the dogs we speak of are) satisfactory. And humans have found that true for 10s of thousands of years. Certainly one could focus on the negative aspect of cars, computers and even family members. Doesn't meant they have no place in our lives. Whether its securing property, searching for criminals or explosives or avalanche victims, or just helping to ward off loneliness as a companion, they can be quite useful. Of course, as you allude to, one should educate oneself as to the 'nature' of dogs before associating with them. They are like retarded children in many ways but clearly many can be kept without the problems you mention and without destroying gardens.
You can have the last word. This seems off topic now.
Carl
--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/damage.htm
Depending on what kind of attitude a dog owner has when standing in front of a judge, "wildlife" has been interpreted to include stray dogs, and "farm" & "cultivated" have been interpreted to mean "your neighbor's 20x20 foot vegetable garden".
Doug Kanter Wrote:

what are you doing in my thread? if you don't have any vali suggestions ... please go crap in your own thread. and if you aren't troll .. i don't know who else qualifies to it !!!!
just like a child molester .. i believe you should be shot on sight !! for animal cruelty. now go dig for trouble somewhere else
-- Arman