how to keep deer away from your plants

Page 2 of 2

I used this on my rhododendrons for many years. Then one winter we had several feet of snow. The deer are very plentiful and started attacking anything green. I saw them actually bite the rope and yank it off and spit it out so the soap wouldn't bother their dining on my rhododendrons. That was the year I switched to deer netting. It works great.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Laur) wrote in message

A friend of a friend swears that trolling wire streched around the garden befuddles the deer through some effect of magnetism. He claims that the deer walk up to the wire, startle, and walk away. Has anyone heard of such a thing? I thought that I had heard (and tried) every folk remedy but this is a new one!!
Deer netting works well but they can and do punch through.
Sally http://www.aneclecticgarden.com
snipped-for-privacy@ashlandhome.net (an eclectic garden) wrote in

I don't rememeber every hearing about that one either. I doubt it is magnetism but you never know. Supposedly certain lobsters can use the earth's magnetic field to orient themselves, but it would probably take more teslas (or whatever the unit is) than can be had from a simple non- electrified wire.
Probably the deer just can't see or resolve the wire and get spooked. Sort of like birds that never heard of glass and keep pecking at their reflection.
Or maybe they do see it and are smart enough to think "I'm likely to garrote myself if I need to run away, so I'll just stay away".
snipped-for-privacy@ashlandhome.net (an eclectic garden) wrote:

It is not magnetism. A nylon rope is just as effective. Even a fence lying on the ground will work. The deer are afraid they will get their feet caught in it and not be able to escape. However, as with anything, if the deer get hungry enough, fear is overcome by hunger.