How to get rid of clover that's taking over the lawn???

It began last year with a small patch of clover and now it's a major problem taking over the entire front lawn. It also attracts deer that eat the clover and they then eat the shrubs for desert. How do I kill the clover without killing the remaining grass?

Reply to
ron

If it's red clover (trifolim pratense) you can harvest the flowers and sell them or use them for tea. The blossoms go for about $28 a lb.

Kate - no clue how to kill clover

Reply to
kate

Weed and feed or just some broadleaf weed killer. Getting rid of clover will not keep deer away.

Reply to
Frank

Actually clover in grass is not such a bad thing, except for the bees. A broadleaf killer will work on clover, but even better to enjoy deer burgers.

Reply to
Phisherman

As a farmer, I know that I can easily get rid of clover by over-grazing it. Not that I want too though - it's far cheaper than polluting fertilizer! Most organic farmers use it in rotation to fix nitrogen.

Reply to
Lucretian

The deer hunters in these parts plant clover fields to attract the deer so they're partial to clover. I'll use the broadleaf weed killer for the clover now and dust off my old 30-30 Marlin 336 for deer burgers this comming November...Thanks for the replys.

Reply to
ron

You oughta shove a swiffer duster up your butt while carousing in the woods next hunting season... what a jerk.

Reply to
brooklyn1

Leave the clover alone so it attracts more deer. They will eat the clover, and you can bag them if they go for the shrubbery. Deer burgers...nummy! Deer steaks aren't bad if you can catch a young one, they tend to be a bit chewy if it's an older deer. Older deer make fabulous stews. And what isn't fit for human consumption will be eagerly devoured by the dogs :-)

Reply to
Zootal

I used to car pool with Ralph 20 years ago. I was wondering why he was late a few times. Seem on the way over to pick me up he would hit a deer. Which he would then take home and his father would pickle.

Waste not want not.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

True that. I sowed crimson clover for several years as a cover crop. Very pretty plant. Then I studied herbs and and sowed red clover instead. This year I've broadcast yellow sweet clover as well, mainly because I think it's pretty.

Kate

Reply to
kate