How to divide crowded Gerbera Daisy

We have a pot bound Gerbera daisy. It seemed to have 3 separate crowns over the summer. Now, there are at least 6 distinct crowns, and the root area is a solid tangle of roots. I could just slice thru the crowns and roots to divide the plant, or hopefully learn somthing here as a better way to divide the plant up. We liv in the Chicago area and will use growing lights over the winter to keep the plants healthy.
Help!!!