How much growth from new roses? (and my Trellis)

I planted 2 New Dawn climbing rose plants, the cheap kind from Home Depot (5.99 each, I think there is worse out there)
I built a nice trellis and put it up on the side of my shed and planted the roses in front. They are growing, it looks like about 2-3" have come out in a few spots.
It's been 2 weeks since I planted them, is this a normal rate of growth to expect? about 1-1.5" a week or is it more random than that?
The info I read on New Dawn says they will get to be 8-10 feet so I am wondering if I can expect that in a season...honestly I have no idea what to expect!! This is my first attempt at roses and I am new to gardening in general!
Any info will be helpful - I just can't seem to find the answers I want through google.
Wanna see the trellis I built? As you can see in the picture I have shade there part of the day.
http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/nanner2000/Trellis.jpg
the picture was right after i built it but before i centered it and attached it. each plant is centered in front of the 2 ladder-type sections. It's 8' x 6' I think I will put something decorative in the top middle section
thanks all!
There are so many factors to consider when determining rate of growth. Your roses will grow fast in ideal conditions. My Don Juan roses have 16-foot canes and growing quickly. I want to trim them back but they are now loaded with buds. I've been feeding them fish emulsion and composted cow manure. I thin out the canes to keep good air circulation to help prevent black spot fungus. To grow well, roses need lots of maintenance. Nice trellis. My trellis is now 70% covered.

Did your trellis get 70% covered over a few seasons or in 1 season? I'm sure I am not offering these roses "ideal conditions" but I am doing the best I can and learnign as I go. Do you cut it all off in the fall or leave it on the trellis year after year?
What is the fish emulsion you feed them, I'll google it I guess - unless it is your own concoction.
I don't mind putting in the work, I look forward to it really but right now it seems like there is nothing to do but wait.
I would like to plant someother plants around the bottom but don't know if i should wait untill the roses grow more and become established or just go ahead and plant now.
Live and learn I suppose :o)

My roses are over 10 years old. They surprised me and grew fast the first year. Trimming in the fall is not recommended because that encourages new growth before winter. I look for dead canes and cut these off at any time. I use a fish emulsion concentrate purchased from a garden center--not cheap at $25 a gallon, but it lasts 2 or 3 years.
I planted garlic in front of my roses. Garlic is supposedly the "companion plant" of roses. It likes the same conditions as roses and wards off aphids and has a good appearance. I planted the garlic toes purchased from the grocery. They come up every year, then die to the ground in heat-intense July.

Nice trellis!

Thanks - it was fun and quick to make :o)

What kind of wood, paint? How much does it weigh? What's it held together with? What's in the trunk of your car that you keep forgetting to bring into the house? :-)

Well, I'd say more like 7-8' this season. I have 2 New Dawns climbing up a pergola that is (I'm guessing) 9' tall and the first season they nearly reached the top. This is the third season and they're about 4' across the top of the pergola.
Cheryl

nanner wrote:

First of all, don't expect much the first year your roses are in the ground. Their roots must get established before they can supply moisture and nutrients to top growth. I have a climbing 'Peace' that extends along a low wall some 30 feet. It barely reached the top of the wall (about 2.5 feet high) the first year.
This leads to the second important point. DO NOT FEED your roses in the first year. Fertlizer will encourage top growth before the roots can sustain it. If you then get a sudden heat wave, the plants might wilt.
Be patient.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

That spot looks shady. Roses need a lot of sun to do well.

I have shade part of the day - it faces east and has full sun half the day. What I read about New Dawn is that they can tolerate shade. Do you know if that is true?