How much growth from new roses? (and my Trellis)

I planted 2 New Dawn climbing rose plants, the cheap kind from Home Depot (5.99 each, I think there is worse out there)

I built a nice trellis and put it up on the side of my shed and planted the roses in front. They are growing, it looks like about 2-3" have come out in a few spots.

It's been 2 weeks since I planted them, is this a normal rate of growth to expect? about 1-1.5" a week or is it more random than that?

The info I read on New Dawn says they will get to be 8-10 feet so I am wondering if I can expect that in a season...honestly I have no idea what to expect!! This is my first attempt at roses and I am new to gardening in general!

Any info will be helpful - I just can't seem to find the answers I want through google.

Wanna see the trellis I built? As you can see in the picture I have shade there part of the day.

picture was right after i built it but before i centered it and attached it. each plant is centered in front of the 2 ladder-type sections. It's 8' x

6' I think I will put something decorative in the top middle section

thanks all!

Reply to
nanner

There are so many factors to consider when determining rate of growth. Your roses will grow fast in ideal conditions. My Don Juan roses have

16-foot canes and grow>I planted 2 New Dawn climbing rose plants, the cheap kind from Home Depot
Reply to
Phisherman

Did your trellis get 70% covered over a few seasons or in 1 season? I'm sure I am not offering these roses "ideal conditions" but I am doing the best I can and learnign as I go. Do you cut it all off in the fall or leave it on the trellis year after year?

What is the fish emulsion you feed them, I'll google it I guess - unless it is your own concoction.

I don't mind putting in the work, I look forward to it really but right now it seems like there is nothing to do but wait.

I would like to plant someother plants around the bottom but don't know if i should wait untill the roses grow more and become established or just go ahead and plant now.

Live and learn I suppose :o)

Reply to
nanner

Nice trellis!

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Thanks - it was fun and quick to make :o)

Reply to
nanner

My roses are over 10 years old. They surprised me and grew fast the first year. Trimming in the fall is not recommended because that encourages new growth before winter. I look for dead canes and cut these off at any time. I use a fish emulsion concentrate purchased from a garden center--not cheap at $25 a gallon, but it lasts 2 or 3 years.

I planted garlic >Did your trellis get 70% covered over a few seasons or in 1 season?

Reply to
Phisherman

Well, I'd say more like 7-8' this season. I have 2 New Dawns climbing up a pergola that is (I'm guessing) 9' tall and the first season they nearly reached the top. This is the third season and they're about 4' across the top of the pergola.

Reply to
clc

Thanks - I can't wait to see what happens!

Reply to
nanner

thanks for the info

I am planning to plant garlic and maybe something more decorative - I read of a few that are supposed to be companions to roses.

You are missing out big-time though if you aren't at least using SOME of the garlic greens to cook with! They make for a wicked frittata!

Reply to
nanner

What kind of wood, paint? How much does it weigh? What's it held together with? What's in the trunk of your car that you keep forgetting to bring into the house? :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I used TufBoard 1x2's - I googled it but didn't find anything on it to share and I already chucked the fact-sheet I brought home from Home Depot. It's a PVC wood composite that won't absorb water and won't rot, warp, split or crack. You can drill it, cut it and paint it like wood (easier really) It came in white so I left it alone but I may go out and paint the cut edges which reveal a light wood color.

I used exterior screws that won't rust and I only had to do a few screws on the front when I assembled it. Almost all of it was done from the back.

It was very light, I assebled it in my living room in less than an hour then carried it out the door on it's side. I am 5'3" and the trellis is 8'x6' so you can imagine it was a funny sight.

I used doubled-up cut-off pieces of 1x2 as spacers to attach it to the shed. Hope that's enough space.

If what the fact-sheet says about the tufboard is true I won't have to replace the thing for a long time.

As for the trunk - I know it's a disaster but I can't quite remember what it was I wanted to bring in...hmmm :oP~~~

The lattice under the shed is the vinyl stuff - it was so simple to work with.

Reply to
nanner

First of all, don't expect much the first year your roses are in the ground. Their roots must get established before they can supply moisture and nutrients to top growth. I have a climbing 'Peace' that extends along a low wall some 30 feet. It barely reached the top of the wall (about 2.5 feet high) the first year.

This leads to the second important point. DO NOT FEED your roses in the first year. Fertlizer will encourage top growth before the roots can sustain it. If you then get a sudden heat wave, the plants might wilt.

Be patient.

Reply to
David Ross

Wysong ~~