How long to keep grow lights on?

I have about 50 eggplants, 50 peppers, and 50 tomatoes under a set of 4 flourescent lights. I plan on keeping them there for the next 2-4 weeks, which is how long it will be before the weather is settled enough to start taking them outside for a week of hardening. I'll probably plant them in the ground the first week of June or so. Last year a late frost wiped out a lot of my plants, so this year I plan on waiting a bit. Question - how long should I keep the lights on? I currently have it on a timer that cycles it 14 hours on, 10 hours off. Or does it really matter?
On Tue, 6 May 2008 19:37:57 -0700, "Zootal"

It matters. 14-16 is right....I go 16 and get good results.
Charlie
<Charlie> wrote in message wrote:

Ahh...that is what I needed to hear...
<sets lamp timer to 16 hours....>
On Tue, 6 May 2008 19:56:42 -0700, "Zootal"

Meant to add, be sure and keep your lights within a couple inches of the seedlings to prevent legginess, if you didn't already know this.
CHarlie

Hmm...<looks at light height>...<lowers lights a few inches>...
Um, yeah, ahem, of course I know this :D:D:D..... :-)
It's not as serious with the toms, since I pinch the bottom set of leaves and bury them real deep anyhow. I don't know if eggplants or peppers are quite as forgiving. I didn't know how big eggplants would get, so last year I planted them too close together and ended up with a dense patch that I could hardly get into. And the yeild was not very good. This year I space them out a bit further and give them a bit more tlc.
On Tue, 6 May 2008 19:37:57 -0700, "Zootal"

18 hours

Mine do best with 16 hours.
Regards, June