How long till new sugar maple greens?

I planted two bare-root sugar maple trees (3-4' high) about 3-4 weeks ago, & they still haven't shown a sign of green.
How long should I wait for leaf buds before concluding that they died?
If they still haven't produced new leaves, they might be dead.
If a young twig snaps when you bend it and is dry inside, its a good indication the tree is dead.
Another indication a tree is dead is if there is no new root growth.

I agree flexibility is a good sign not only in plant both with humans. We always bend branches and if they snap get ready to remove but my other half tells me to wait a year. ;)) I'm prone to seek out and kill borers with no mercy and have been known to feed them to my fish. Bag worms ....you don't want to know.
Aside
I shot them with my BB Gun HA Ha Ha Ha hhhhhhh (insane laugh)
Bill
--
Garden Shade Zone 5 in a Japanese Jungle manner.
This article is posted under fair use rules in accordance with Title 17 U.S.C.
Darryl wrote:

July is not the proper time to plant bare root trees. They were probably already dead when you put them in the ground.

USDA Zone 8

yup, even a bare root tree would have leaves in July if it was alive. are the leaf buds brittle? are they even existant?
lee
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery
Travis wrote:

They were planted in June, not July. Where I live you can't even plant until May anyway, unless you want to dig through the snow.
I just purchased the house; I had no opportunity to plant before then, & not enough patience to wait another 10 months.
I watered the trees heavily every other day, but I just tested them, & I think you are right; they were dead before they were shipped to me. The twigs snap easily, & the leaf buds are dried. I had great luck planting privet hedges in June, but I guess hedges aren't the same as trees. I'll have to try again next spring. Thanks to everyone for the responses.
What continent are you on? In North America it's no tiime for bare root stock.