How long before a male holly starts producing pollen

I need either a Jim Dandy or Apollo "winter berry" holly (aka a male) to pollinate my new "Berry Nice" winter berry holly. The only ones I can find locally are much bigger than I can easily plant with out expanding a bed that I really don't want to touch for a few years.
Cheryl
Cheryl Isaak;939368 Wrote: > I need either a Jim Dandy or Apollo "winter berry" holly (aka a male) to >

So have a wander around your area and see if there is any male holly around rather than taking up space unnecessarily in your garden.
--
echinosum

On 10/14/11 9:06 AM, echinosum wrote:

(sadly) mostly grass.
I don't mind adding another shrub, I just really didn't want to work around where I'd locate it now - The next expansion of that area is a year or so away.
I did end up contacting the America Holly Society. Since most commercially available hollies are clones, they start blooming and producing pollen as very young plants. So next year, I'll find a Jim Dandy for my garden