How do I plant geraniums from dry roots

someone gave me a bunch of dried geraniums that she had in her basement over the winter. How can I get some life back into them? Apparently she overwinters them this way and them plants them in the spring. Does this sound right?
Lori
Kayla wrote:

I have heard of that method. I would imagine you would soak them in water for an hour or so and then pot them up or stick them in the ground when it warms up.

USDA Zone 8b
we store geraniums each year that way. Just pot them up, cut them back, and start to water. Probably not all of them will make it but I would say at least 80 per cent should.
Marv-Montezuma, IA Kayla wrote:

: we store geraniums each year that way. Just pot them up, cut them back, : and start to water. Probably not all of them will make it but I would : say at least 80 per cent should. : :
by any chance, do you just pull them up in fall and keep them bare root in a bag in the basement? if not, how do you store them?

I took leaf cuttings and have been keeping them under the grow lights all winter. They're doing quite well but using bare roots sound interesting.
How does this work? Do you just yank the whole plant out of the ground, and shake the dirt off? Why not cut all the leaves off?
Swyck