How do I keep rabbits out of my garden? Recommendations?

My landlord won't allow me to put up a fence, so I'm open to all other suggestions.

viv

Reply to
Vivian Darkbloom

Dried blood.

Bill

Ps not your landlords :))

Reply to
Bill

used a trap just like this when I was helping feed the family in the

1930's when we had to scavenge for food. You should know rabbit is very good!!

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Tom are you about 80 years old and computer literate too? Please post more!

Bill who shot his rabbit¹s not right away but when they looked back feeling safe. Had a blue tick at one time but we turned him into more of a house pet. Blue tick is a beagle rabbit dog.. FYI Miss a shot an a good dog brings it back for another chance.

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
dr-solo

Feed your plants with blood meal.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Just shy of 80, 78+ to be closer. Now hunting rabbits with beagle hounds in the country is all together different. When you and the beagles are walking through the undergrowth and the beagles jump a rabbit (start barking and running the rabbit), you just stand still and follow the sound, because very soon that rabbit will come right back to the end of your gun barrel!! You cain't miss!!

Tom J

Tom J

1) suitable dog(s) 2) myxomatosis 3) calici virus 4) gun(s) 5) traps 6) poison baits 7) destroy their warrens 8) electric fence 9) ferrets and nets 10) wire cages over garden beds 11) prayer and fasting (either you or the rabbits) 12) combinations of the above

These all have various degrees of legality, availability and suitability depending on where you are and who you are.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Sprinkle blood meal around the area. You'll have to replace it after rain. Also, another trick if you have a cat or know someone who does, distribute used kitty litter around the edge of the property.

Good luck! June

Vivian Darkbloom wrote:

Reply to
June

How about a temporary fence? some metal or wood stakes and some chicken wire

Reply to
Mike

well if it was me i would certainly contact the rspca before doing anything cruel, im outraged at some of the suggestions on here

have you ever condisoring speaking to the rabbit and curtiously asking it to leave?

Reply to
Kate_Garraway

To be fair you really can justify taking innocent lives just for the sake of keeping your lawn clean. We're all honest gardeners here; and I feel mother nature has so much more to offer us than urban tripe. However this is a 'Rape' of mother nature. Garden loving isnt about killing rabbits its about letting wild animals run free in their natural habitat.

Reply to
Flower_Pot_Joe

What about chanting? Do you know any good rabbit ridding chants? Will we need holy water in our water pistols too?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

If this don't drive the bunnies away nothing will.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Put wire netting round your flower beds and get a good terrier.

Reply to
beccabunga

I'm flashing on the "rat writ writ for a rat" scene in True Grit.

Reply to
J. Clarke

it would be good to consider that wild rabbits carry quite a few nasty disease can be passed to humans. Ingrid

On Tue, 20 May 2008 15:20:32 +0100, Flower_Pot_Joe

Reply to
dr-solo

Hmmm ....

I like dogs myself. My little yappy dog scares rabbits off. Also dogs tend to mark the edge of ones territory, which also helps to keep rabbits away. All natural, its about letting trained animals run free in their natural habitat :)

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.

I have two dogs and their presence and urine isn't keeping the bunnies away. Just saw one this morning outside our bedroom deck. We opened the door and our Lhasa chased it. We don't let our Jack Russell out because he'd chase him to the next county! LOL What works for me is blood meal, re-applied after rain.

Regards, June

Reply to
June

Jack Russells are cool dogs and will chase after anything that moves. Weellll, My dog is a little seven pound long hair yappy yorkie and will also chase a rabbit in the next county as well.

I take my dog for walks around the edge of my property every other day. He pees often, marking his way. Take the Russell for walks :) Lhasa Apso's are also little yappy warning dogs, like yorkies.

You may have more rabbits than I do. Start a Hawks nest in a tree :) I have lots of hawks in my area as well. Keep an eye on your dog when hawks do come around.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

Reply to
Dan L.