How do I keep rabbits out of my garden? Recommendations?

Page 1 of 2
My landlord won't allow me to put up a fence, so I'm open to all other suggestions.
viv
Add pictures here
βœ–

Dried blood.
Bill
Ps not your landlords :))
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /
On 5/17/2008 2:19 PM, Bill wrote:

Feed your plants with blood meal.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Vivian Darkbloom wrote:

http://icwdm.org/Publications/pdf/Rabbits/Rabbittrapplans1.pdf
I used a trap just like this when I was helping feed the family in the 1930's when we had to scavenge for food. You should know rabbit is very good!!
Tom J
Add pictures here
βœ–

Tom are you about 80 years old and computer literate too? Please post more!
Bill who shot his rabbitΉs not right away but when they looked back feeling safe. Had a blue tick at one time but we turned him into more of a house pet. Blue tick is a beagle rabbit dog.. FYI Miss a shot an a good dog brings it back for another chance.
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA
Neat place .. http://www.petersvalley.org /
βœ–
Bill wrote:

Just shy of 80, 78+ to be closer. Now hunting rabbits with beagle hounds in the country is all together different. When you and the beagles are walking through the undergrowth and the beagles jump a rabbit (start barking and running the rabbit), you just stand still and follow the sound, because very soon that rabbit will come right back to the end of your gun barrel!! You cain't miss!!
Tom J http://home.earthlink.net/~tomj_ga/
Add pictures here
βœ–
trap and kill them. other than that you might try some blood meal sprinkled around.

Add pictures here
βœ–

1) suitable dog(s) 2) myxomatosis 3) calici virus 4) gun(s) 5) traps 6) poison baits 7) destroy their warrens 8) electric fence 9) ferrets and nets 10) wire cages over garden beds 11) prayer and fasting (either you or the rabbits) 12) combinations of the above
These all have various degrees of legality, availability and suitability depending on where you are and who you are.
David
Add pictures here
βœ–
David Hare-Scott;792446 Wrote:

To be fair you really can justify taking innocent lives just for the sake of keeping your lawn clean. We're all honest gardeners here; and I feel mother nature has so much more to offer us than urban tripe. However this is a 'Rape' of mother nature. Garden loving isnt about killing rabbits its about letting wild animals run free in their natural habitat.
--
Flower_Pot_Joe

Add pictures here
βœ–
it would be good to consider that wild rabbits carry quite a few nasty disease can be passed to humans. Ingrid
On Tue, 20 May 2008 15:20:32 +0100, Flower_Pot_Joe

Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com wrote:

Hmmm ....
I like dogs myself. My little yappy dog scares rabbits off. Also dogs tend to mark the edge of ones territory, which also helps to keep rabbits away. All natural, its about letting trained animals run free in their natural habitat :)
Enjoy Life ... Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

Add pictures here
βœ–
I have two dogs and their presence and urine isn't keeping the bunnies away. Just saw one this morning outside our bedroom deck. We opened the door and our Lhasa chased it. We don't let our Jack Russell out because he'd chase him to the next county! LOL What works for me is blood meal, re-applied after rain.
Regards, June
Add pictures here
βœ–
In article

Jack Russells are cool dogs and will chase after anything that moves. Weellll, My dog is a little seven pound long hair yappy yorkie and will also chase a rabbit in the next county as well.
I take my dog for walks around the edge of my property every other day. He pees often, marking his way. Take the Russell for walks :) Lhasa Apso's are also little yappy warning dogs, like yorkies.
You may have more rabbits than I do. Start a Hawks nest in a tree :) I have lots of hawks in my area as well. Keep an eye on your dog when hawks do come around.
Enjoy Life ... Dan
--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

Add pictures here
βœ–

A dog that can actually catch rather than just chase is more effective. Mine does get a little pudgy when the bunnies have a population explosion but as they say in the classics:
"do not muzzle the kine that tillith thy fields".
David
Add pictures here
βœ–
I get a little upset when the cat gets the bunnies. In some areas cotton tail populations are very low; but they're thriving on my property with lots of brambles and woods to hide, a stream for water. I'd rather stick with the blood meal sprinkled in the beds and used kitter litter around the perimeter, solution and watch the cute bunnies, who usually stay on the lower meadow where there's a lot clover which they love. I don't like killing anything, except maybe the ticks that land of me or the animals and even then I feel a bit guilty. :-( In the five years I've been here, I haven't had any bunny damage in my flower or veggie gardens which are mainly terraced. We named our property Shambhala, which for us means, all living things are welcome and guaranteed to be safe, except of course with ticks that bite us.
June
Add pictures here
βœ–
Sprinkle blood meal around the area. You'll have to replace it after rain. Also, another trick if you have a cat or know someone who does, distribute used kitty litter around the edge of the property.
Good luck! June
Vivian Darkbloom wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

How about a temporary fence? some metal or wood stakes and some chicken wire
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mike;793099 Wrote: > "Vivian Darkbloom" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in message

> other

well if it was me i would certainly contact the rspca before doing anything cruel, im outraged at some of the suggestions on here
have you ever condisoring speaking to the rabbit and curtiously asking it to leave?
--
Kate_Garraway

Add pictures here
βœ–

What about chanting? Do you know any good rabbit ridding chants? Will we need holy water in our water pistols too?
David
Add pictures here
βœ–

If this don't drive the bunnies away nothing will.
Bill
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
Žb9keMS78M>