How do I get my chayote to produce fruit?

Hello all,
This is the second year of my chayote plant. Last year the vine thrived during the summer but produced no fruit.
During the winter it simply disappeared. I assumed that it dies.
Then during the late spring it appeared again. Lot's of leaves, but still no sign of fruits, although I am watering it regularly and started fertilizing it.
How do I get it to produce fruit?
Al
http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-california-usda-plant-zone-hardiness-map.php
According to this site I am in Zone 9b
On 8/17/2016 9:28 PM, Al Tprk wrote:

According to Sunset's "Western Garden Book", you need at least two plants for cross-pollination.
By the way, the zone map to which you link has problems. It fails to consider the duration of winter chill, the amount of summer heat, and such things as persistant cloud cover and prevailing winds. I much prefer Sunset's own zone scheme, which does consider those climate characteristics.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see