How do I get my chayote to produce fruit?

Hello all,

This is the second year of my chayote plant. Last year the vine thrived during the summer but produced no fruit.

During the winter it simply disappeared. I assumed that it dies.

Then during the late spring it appeared again. Lot's of leaves, but still no sign of fruits, although I am watering it regularly and started fertilizing it.

How do I get it to produce fruit?

Al

According to this site I am in Zone 9b

Reply to
Al Tprk

According to Sunset's "Western Garden Book", you need at least two plants for cross-pollination.

By the way, the zone map to which you link has problems. It fails to consider the duration of winter chill, the amount of summer heat, and such things as persistant cloud cover and prevailing winds. I much prefer Sunset's own zone scheme, which does consider those climate characteristics.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Thank you David.

I've read somewhere else that cross-pollination is not needed. Just in case, I'll plant another one.

As for my Sunset zone, I think I am in zone 15.

Reply to
Al Tprk