How do I etiolate a Melia Azedarach tree.

I have a good healthy specimen just outside the office, but I want it to grow tall and slender. These trees have a wide-growing umbrella-type shape. It has occured to me that I should start lopping off the lower boughs gradually, that is one per year, so that the trunk will continue expanding helped by the remaining boughs. Is this the right idea? Regards